Do citizens in a democratic society have a moral duty to stay informed?

Or is it a right you have that you can just as easily ignore without that making you less of a citizen?

Like if you don't vote,is that immoral?Or if you for example would vote blind without ever watching the news or reading a news paper?Is that morally right for anyone living under a free and Democratic form of government?

Favorite Answer

Morally, yes. The two main duties a person has to their country is to actively participate in Democracy and pay their taxes.

If you enjoy the freedoms of a Democratic society, you should contribute to it by being informed. Without people actively participating, a crazy leader could easily sway the masses with propaganda to do all sorts of horrid things and ruin the country.

Democracy is a government of the people, and if the people do not even care to make informed decisions, the country will decline and the freedom that they once enjoyed will evaporate.

I think if your going to voice an opinion about the U.S., or vote, or use it's public assistance programs, you have a moral obligation to have a clue as to what's going on in the country in which you live. I am tired of hearing opinions of those of who say"I don't watch the news," yet complain all the time about what's wrong with America. and , I am sure you'll get a lot of "it's a free country bs"

People who choose not to stay informed are not losing a civic duty they are just fooling themselves. If you don't vote, you have no right to open your mouth about the current administration. I like to know everything and anything about a candidate before voting. Their track record if you will. That means newspapers, TV and the Internet.

For me it's like a moral issue, because I wouldn't have the right to speak about issues that are important to me if I were not informed.

I don't think it's a moral issue ...

But it is an issue that will effect you whether you decide to be active or passive in society and politics.

If you are satisfied or dissatisfied with the laws and policies of your country....if you don't want to be an active part of the process ......please don't feel you are just in voicing your opinion when others make the time to actually affect change.

The duty is to your self. How can you vote for what you feel is right if you don't understand the issues.

What is the point?

Unless you are rich you are just spinning your wheels.

Voting?!!?

For who - one of the two candidates approved by the elitists decision makers in this country???

I read and keep informed simply as a service to myself.

I fully realize that my efforts are meaningless in every way other than personal satisfaction.

So the answer is .... no.

• Y E S