Can you explain my central heating system to me?

Hi, I've moved into my first house and would like to know a bit more about my central heating system... There is a gas boiler (about 3'by1'by1' or thereabouts - on the inside there is a peizo ignitor button, gas control valve and a thermostat temperature control which is a radial dial with a min... show more Hi,
I've moved into my first house and would like to know a bit more about my central heating system...

There is a gas boiler (about 3'by1'by1' or thereabouts - on the inside there is a peizo ignitor button, gas control valve and a thermostat temperature control which is a radial dial with a min and max setting on it) the boiler is controlled by a 24hr digital timer for central heating and hot water (independantly) switching the boiler on/off.

Upstairs in the back bedroom is a hot water tank. On the outside near the bottom is a control dial with temperature settings.

There is no thermostat control in the house. Or not that I can see.

I have worked out how to control the boiler with the timer to switch on the hot water and central heating but how do I control the temperature of the water coming out of the taps? And why doesn't my home have a room thermostat? Can a thermostat control be fitted to my system to keep the house at a set temperature?