bradley w asked in PetsReptiles · 1 decade ago

why cant crocodiles run in zig zags?

Best Answer

They can run in zig zags just not very well. They're long creatures so they can't turn easily (just like long lorries on the road).

I saw the Mythbusters show on this, and I have to say that I'd like to have seen them try their experiments with juvenile crocodiles.

The grown crocs are too heavy-bodied on land to do much moving for any length of time. They actually can overheat very quickly; in the wild, if crocs have to travel overland for any distance, they move relatively slowly and deliberately, and spend a fair amount of time resting and cooling off.

I think the Mythbusters would have gotten a truer read on the zigzag myth if they'd used a younger, smaller croc that could move quicker for longer without heating up.

Didn't you watch Mythbusters? Even the HUMANS can't run in zig-zags!

zig zags are for joints and not for crocodiles silly

i just saw that on mythbusters. crocs and allys have a very powerful sudden jump, near the water. thats how they get there pray (when they drink). they will NEVER attack on land, unless hes like a foot away from u.

• Time to watch "MythBusters" on TLC. They just had this same question and answered it clearly. Maybe go to TLC online and watch the episode.

I think it's something to do with their joints and size - meaning they haven't got a very quick turning circle, and it's also quite a big one.

Crocs can't run at all. They lunge. I watched Mythbusters too.

their body is to big and not shaped right. if you are getting chased by on run for your life in circles

Cos they're getting away from Don Johnson as fast they can.