Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 1 decade ago

Has Pelosi "played ball" with special interest, only days after trumpeting new ethics reform?

Democrat Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi has carved out some serious space for a few high powered corporations in the latest minimum wage bill.

Del Monte Foods, a San Francisco based company, lobbied to protect American Samoa from the Min. Wage hike, and they succeeded:

The Washington Times writes...

Although the legislation specifically extends for the first time the federal minimum wage to the U.S. territory of the Northern Mariana Islands, it exempts American Samoa, another Pacific island territory that would become the only U.S. territory not subject to federal minimum-wage laws.

"It's ironic to me that one of the first bills they bring up that promises across-the-board fairness for all has an exception," said Steve Forde, Republican spokesman for the House Education and Labor Committee.

Democrats agreed yesterday that pay rates in Samoa should be raised and that the minimum wage should be uniform across all U.S. territories.

But, they said, the working conditions in the Northern Mariana Islands are "screaming out" for immediate attention.

The loophole pleases the tuna corporations that employ thousands of Samoans in canneries there at $3.26 an hour -- an industry-specific rate set by the U.S. Department of Labor. They have lobbied Congress for years, arguing that imposing the federal minimum wage on Samoa would cripple the economy by driving the canneries to poor countries that don't require a minimum wage.

One of the biggest opponents of the U.S. minimum wage there is StarKist Tuna, which owns one of the two packing plants that together employ more than 5,000 Samoans, or nearly 75 percent of the island's work force. The other plant belongs to California-based Chicken of the Sea.

StarKist's parent company, Del Monte Corp., is headquartered in San Francisco, which is represented by Mrs. Pelosi.

• Jack
    Favorite Answer

As much as I cant stand the wicked witch of the west, I dont think she did anything wrong.

I think the minimum wage thing is a JOKE. And I blame the Republicans - they should have just enacted a gradual increase in the min wage (to keep pace with rising living costs) - if they had done that long ago, we wouldnt be having this stupid debate about a non-issue.

At least HALF of people who work for min wage are UNDER 25 - meaning they are mostly students or young adults just entering the workforce. They will all eventually move out of that bracket as they age. So this whole thing is another "class warfare issue." Its a paper tiger.

Love Jack

• cantcu

"Although the legislation specifically extends for the first time the federal minimum wage to the U.S. territory of the Northern Mariana Islands, it exempts American Samoa, another Pacific island territory that would become the only U.S. territory not subject to federal minimum-wage laws."

Under the Republicans BOTH were exempt, now their is one!

I don't remember most corporations being liberal and Pelosi didn't even vote!

How did Pelosi "Carve out some serious space" when both WERE ALREADY CARVED OUT BY THE REPUBLICANS???

I bet you aren't even for the minimum wage raise for ANYONE!

• landry

it is frustrating to play hookey once you have already got the time without work. Woohoo! Spring ruin! of path, I could probable be grading papers. Or making waiting for the class i'm coaching that starts the next day. yet . . . . nah!

I knew it wouldn't be long before Pelosi was caught red-handed. She is all talk. Why shouldn't these people get raises too?

• Bawney

Yeah, now that is liberals the way we all know them, CORRUPT! When do the hearings start, or do we need to be ripped off for longer?

Played for sure maybe owns the whole team

and Bush went to Iraq for oil...

it's the same concept...

a "politician A has links to company A and politician A's actions benefit company A greatly... so everyone assumes they did it for company A"....

no proof for either... but both are highly convenient... granted...

She is a typical politician. Total hypocrite. She really makes me laugh. It is one of these "If you scratch my back I'll scratch yours".