Active.com asked in SportsOther - Sports · 1 decade ago

Olympic Torch Relay to Climb Everest??

From badminton to basketball, the games kick off when the Olympic Torch Relay that begins several months before opening ceremonies makes it's way into the stadium to ignite the flame.

According to the BBC, before the flame gets to Beijing, it will actually go to the summit of Mount Everst. Twice. There will reportedly be a televised rehearsal in 2007 before the actual torch relay in 2008. The full schedule of the torch relay, which must be approved by the International Olympic Committee, has not yet been released.

"The torch will be designed in order to burn at such a high altitude," said Beijing Olympics official Liu Jingmin.

Any ideas on how this could be realistically accomplished??

Find more discussion, information, articles, tips, drills, etc on softball and more at http://www.active.com and http://active.typepad.com/teamsports

2 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

The whole thing is interesting. IOC will probably approve the torch relay route to go to Everest despite the still questioning about the legitimacy of Chinese control over Tibet.

The flame will have to be protected from high wind that is common there as well as requiring continuous supply of oxygen for burning. It won't be easy, but the Chinese may be able to pull it off. They just have to try and perfect it before the real deal. They don't like to be embarrassed.

• Login to reply the answers
  • ?
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

sport is about expressing freedom and abilities in a language that everybody on earth can comprehend. you do not favor to comprehend jap to maintain in mind that a pastime of Volleyball is nicely performed or no longer and an same is going for any pastime in the course of the Olympics. it truly is the collaborating and the sportsmanship that counts. China has NO position in Tibet, an same as Iraq had no position in Kuwait, or Germany in Poland. The chinese language authorities keep the inhabitants of the rustic lower than the thumb of communism and imprisons those that workout freedom of speech. the position is the sportsmanship in that? i'd be boycotting the Olympics and that i wish everybody else will too. there is not any longer some thing I have a good time with more suitable than global competition and sportsmanship, yet China ought to end Tibet, manage it truly is inhabitants a lot more suitable constructive earlier i'd be observing. i'm certain that there are some on right here that rememebr the television documentary referred to as "The death Rooms" the position little ones in chinese language orphanages were only ignored and forgotten. they are nevertheless forgotten now and could proceed to be forgotten once the Olympics are over. Google it once you should "The death Rooms" and shall we see what percentage will be helping the chinese language Olympics then.

• Login to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.