airport4052 asked in Environment · 1 decade ago

why should I put a brick in my fridge to save energy?

Favorite Answer

It will initially use energy to cool the brick when you first put it in the fridge but once its there and cooled it will act as an accumulator which will prevent excessive temperature variation when you open then close the fridge door.

• Ed

Nope, you all missed it.

It will take some energy to cool the brick, but if it is in the fridge and you open the door, less air pours out. Therefore there is less air to bring back to cool temperature. Of course it doesn't have to be a brick. It could be anything that displaces an amount of air.

One very efficient refrigerator is compartmented inside, with doors on each compartment. When a door is opened, only air from that compartment escapes.

If this is not a joke , then you are mixing up the idea with putting a brick in your toilet cistern to save water, which does work. A brick in the fridge will do nothing at all!!

• J C

I do not believe that it will save energy.

I do believe that it will provide hysteresis for the refrigeration system so that the effect of minor changes in temperature from opening the door, putting a hot pie in the fridge etc. will be minimized.

Scotch ice (those plastic blocks filled with blue liquid that one uses for coolers) would probably be more effective.

i dont believe this is question is right

but if it is the reason would be because the energy that the brick must lose to get to the temperature of the refregerator is less than the energy that a same volume of air should lose

p.s im not sure im just imagining

It sounds insane but it might work, I have heaters that store heat in bricks and release the heat slowly, not being a physicist I can not see any reason why the opposite would not work apart form the amount of bricks needed.

You should? Didn't know that one.

But if you have a fridge full of bricks then you have no food and don't have to plug the fridge in, saving electricity, and you have to order out, saving you energy.

My advice is not to listen to a word I say 'cos I'm a bad influence.

Yeh, seen the tree-huggers advocating this...

It's probably because some 'greenies' think that keeping bricks cold instead of food is good for the environment...

Honestly - who wants a brick in their fridge?

Heard of putting one in the toilet cistern to save water.

Suppose if it is your fridge you can put what you like in it !!!

It helps keep it cold when you open the fridge.