Restate computer to original manufacturer settings?

How do you clean out your computer to it's original factory settings? I have transferred everything to my new computer that I need. I just need to make sure everything is deleted out of my old one. I am selling it and don't want anyone to get any possible info left on there. Can anyone help?

2 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

    Well, 60% of the time a computer comes with a set of CD-ROMS or DVD-ROMS that will restore your computer to original manufacturer settings. The other 40% either a) did not come with those CDs, and you need to purchase them, or b) the data is in a separate partition, (this is the case with most DELLs) and you need to perform some steps to restore it. try googling your computer brand, model, and the phrase "original factory settings".

    • Login to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

    You do not need the original disc's if you do not have them, you can reformat the hard drive, I recommend that you do a regular reformat, then a low level reformat, this should insure that the personal data is wiped enough to non-recoverable state, then you can use the Operating System Disc to do a clean install of the OS, Also if you do not have the Modem, Monitor, and any other drivers on disc, you can sign up for a free account at Driverguide, and search and download the necessary drivers.. I use a set of floppies to reformat with. Good Luck...

    Source(s): Drivers: http://www.driverguide.com/ Reformat Floppies: http://www.allbootdisks.com/
    • Login to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.