How can I tell if I am dreaming?

A recent viewing of the movie "Waking Life" has made me question the realities of everything. I can no longer tell what is real and what is a dream. It's as though I can feel myself dreaming while I'm awake, and when I'm asleep, I don't know I'm dreaming. I had a lucid dream the other... show more A recent viewing of the movie "Waking Life" has made me question the realities of everything. I can no longer tell what is real and what is a dream. It's as though I can feel myself dreaming while I'm awake, and when I'm asleep, I don't know I'm dreaming. I had a lucid dream the other day during a nap, and took full advantage of it; however, this has prompted me to question whether or not I am still in that dream. The time since then has flown by, and the instances all have melded into one second of information that I cannot describe. It's as though I'm stuck in a dreamlike state of mind, but still caught in reality. Can I wake up? I feel like each time I tell myself to awaken, I can almost feel my body on the edge of my bed, getting ready to open my eyes. But am I still asleep? How do I know this question (or multitude of questions) isn't just a dream? Even worse, how do I know I'm not just a dream character with no real existence or purpose? Rhetorical philosophy is impossible.
6 answers 6