How can I tell if I am dreaming?

A recent viewing of the movie "Waking Life" has made me question the realities of everything. I can no longer tell what is real and what is a dream. It's as though I can feel myself dreaming while I'm awake, and when I'm asleep, I don't know I'm dreaming. I had a lucid dream the other day during a nap, and took full advantage of it; however, this has prompted me to question whether or not I am still in that dream. The time since then has flown by, and the instances all have melded into one second of information that I cannot describe. It's as though I'm stuck in a dreamlike state of mind, but still caught in reality. Can I wake up? I feel like each time I tell myself to awaken, I can almost feel my body on the edge of my bed, getting ready to open my eyes. But am I still asleep? How do I know this question (or multitude of questions) isn't just a dream? Even worse, how do I know I'm not just a dream character with no real existence or purpose? Rhetorical philosophy is impossible.

Favorite Answer

If you were a dream character, that means you would be MY dream character, because as far as I know, I have a mind. The person running the dream creates all the characters in it. If you have a mind of your own, then this is YOUR dream, and I am a creation of you. Everything I have written, and am writing, are not my own thoughts, but your thoughts being expressed through me. I could never prove to you that I am not a character in your dream, but you will never make me think that I am a character in your dream...

Source(s): The thing that snapped me into realizing I was dreaming was, uh-- was my digital clock. I couldn't really read it. It was like the circuitry was all screwed up or something. Yeah, that's real common. And small printed material is pretty tough too. Very unstable. Another good tip-off is trying to adjust light levels. You can't really do that. If you see a light switch nearby, turn it on and off and see if it works. That's one of the few things you can't do in a lucid dream.

LUCID DREAMS

Follow my free - how to lucid dream - course and you will soon adventure into your own psychic zone. http://www.psychic-junkie.com/how-to-lucid-dream.h...

There’s also this FREE Lucid Dreaming Mini-Course http://www.lucid-dream-kit.com

Potion Mixology is made up of some of the most powerful entheogen herbs on the planet. The use of these herbs date back over 500 years and have been used in success to induce out of body experiences, communicate with spirits, awaken latent psychic abilities, etc. http://www.1automationwiz.com/app/?Clk=1406854

Leave Your Body INSTANTLY With this new Astral Projection CD. The benefits of out-of-body exploration extend far beyond the limits of our physical senses and our intellect. After an out-of-body experience, many people report an inner awakening of their spiritual identity, a transformation of their self-concept. They see themselves as more than matter - more aware and alive. http://www.1automationwiz.com/app/?Clk=1406856

Remote Viewing is Real and Has Profound Applications in Your Life. Here’s a Free Ebook and Guided Audio on the Silva UltraMind System of Remote Viewing - The World's First Meditation-Based System for Enhancing ESP and Remote Viewing. http://www.silvaultramindsystem.com/main.php?ct=11...

• franc

You have a concept of yourself as dreaming, you have a concept of yourself as awake. From where do these concepts come? I have see the same film. The people there are also involved in attempts to create concepts of the self. They are trying to define their real self, using various clever concepts.

Now, can there be a movement of the mind that does not involve concepts? WATCH IT! Watch what happens as you ask the question - you begin to conceptualize. So, can there be a movement of the mind that does not involve concepts - don't answer now. What is there when you don't answer??????

Well when you wrote this here on this website everyone here read what you wrote and obviously deep in the back of your mind you know that you are not dreaming because you asked the question "how can I tell if I am dreaming" you can tell by when you wake up, the mind is a powerful thing and can believe whatever you want it to DO NOT let it fool you AND DON'T GIVE IN, you are not dreaming right now.

look you have the butterfly effect syntoms. I´m afraid this is so contagious that in a matter of days your existence will be nothing, but a dream.

Rhetorical philosophy? you wish!

Just consider the nice things are dream, and the bad ones are reality. So when something nice happens to you, conclude that you are dreaming!