Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

What is the difference between grated and shredded cheese?

I mean more the consulting the dictionary definition for grate and shred. What makes the difference in production and in use also?

• Favorite Answer

I cut the cheese for about three years in a gourmet grocery store - no pun intended. It really depends on the device you use - whether it relies on manual labor (your hands) or electric motor to do the work. A grating device produces a finer powder to bread-crumb like texture depending on the type of cheese, how much moisture content is in the cheese. Whereas a shredding device produces a sometimes flat or round noodle-like (much like fettucini) shape texture.

Grating devices are typically used with aged hard to semi-hard cheeses such as Parmesan, Asiago, Manchego, Romano. These hard cheeses will contain less moisture with greater age, producing a finer powder when grated. Machine grating devices are also capable of grating the rinds of hard cheeses which will produce a string-like powder, which looks like cotton candy. You could also "shave" a hard cheese to produce translucent-like slices to top different dishes. Shredded cheeses are usually commodity (more commonly found in regular grocery stores) cheeses like Cheddar, Monterey Jack, Mozzarella. Shredded cheeses when they are semi-hard or fresh cheese are typically used in pizza, hamburgers, hot dogs, chili - as toppings.

For me the difference is this, if I'm grating a cheese then I'm using a box grater to grate the cheese for spreading, lets say on a Lasagna prior to putting it in the oven to bake. The grater will produce longer strands of cheese which cover the top of a baked dish well and the melted cheese will cover the top of the dish nicely. If I'm shredding a cheese then I'm using a food processor to shred it to a finer consistency, lets say Parmesan cheese to top a pizza. Anyway, that my spin on grated and shredded.

• Iris

I'll give an example of how the terms are used on products.

I have two kinds of parmesan cheese in the refrigerator. One is the powdered kind that comes in a jar--that's labeled "grated." The other is the kind in little strips that comes in a bag--that's labeled "shredded."

However, if you prepare the cheese yourself, you can both grate and shred with the same cheese grater--just use the smaller holes for grating.

Define Grated

Shredded cheese is coated with a powder to keep it from sticking together during packaging. I've not seen much difference when using them, although it is much more expensive to buy them than to grate or shred it oneself.

• Nikki

It's actually the same except for grated cheese is smaller. n

greated chees is normally hard cheese, while shreeded cheese is normally semi hard cheese.

Parmesian cheese is greated and Edam cheese or mozarella are shreeded.

As far as I can tell, they're the same. I'm sure they'd be interchangable in recipes.

they're the same