? asked in 社會及文化語言 · 1 decade ago

age-wise ?

I read it from newspaper, it said "The impact is minimal because age-wise, most of the employers in Hong Kong do not want to employ younger maids in their homes for obvious reasons. "

I could not get the exact meaning of the word " age-wise " from dictionary, anyone can help? Thanks!

Rating
  • Tony
    Favorite Answer

The impact is minimal because age-wise, most of the employers in Hong Kong do not want to employ younger maids in their homes for obvious reasons. "

從年齡角度上,影響是很低程度的;大多數的在香港的雇主都不希望 ...........

(if you can provide a few sentences before, I may be able to give a better explanation to exact meaning)

• Eric

英文中凡是有wise作結的字通常是解作某方面的意思,如age-wise是指在年齡問題方面,其他例子還有clockwise(順時針方向)、anti-clockwise(逆時針方向)、likewise(彼此彼此)、otherwise(其他方面)、lengthwise(較長那一邊)等等,確實意思須視上文下理而定。