Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelAsia PacificKorea · 1 decade ago

What's the word for Korean calligraphy?

I saw a form of Korean calligraphy where different colored drawing-things were used to create elaborate characters, decorated with dragons and long-tailed birds. What is the word for that art form?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

You mean the letter itself was made of dragons and bird pictures?

Traditionally people really didn't call it other than folk drawings, because higher ranking people wouldn't draw them (but it really looks nice and cute, isn't it?) You cannot catagorize them in calligraphy.

Also, dragons and long-tailed birds are symbols of king and queens, traditionally it was prohibited for non-royal people to use or have, so the picture must been drawing less than 50 years ago (sorry if you were looking for an antique!)

• Login to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Calligraphy is the art of producing beautiful handwriting using a brush or a special pen.

there are some drawings too..

in korean, it's called 서예(seoye). (handwriting..)

we handwrite some words on paper in korean or hanja.

• Mary
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

its called 'konglish' the english word being adapted to korean not just kiss but many other words too such as black coffee - bellack kopi cheese - chee-seu cola- kolla and etc as the things comes from the english culture, they dont have the word for it yet, so adapting the english to their language. this is not only the case in korean but also in other language too =)

• 1 decade ago

I've never heard of/seen that. You probably already know that the language itself is called Hangul. The chinese characters sometimes used is called Hancha or Hanja (sp?). Where did you see this? In the airport tourist store? = )

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

The phonetic alphabet is called "Han Gul," and the characters that are {derived from} Chinese are called "Han Mun" or "Han Ja."

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I think it has not a finite name,,

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.