Upconverting DVD Players: Component vs. HDMI?

I have a couple of upconverting DVD players that I am looking at, mainly the Denon and Samsung HD960. I am leaning towards the Samsung but just read that it won't upconvert over 480p on component .... which makes little sense to me. It says in the brochure that it needs HDMI for 1080p upconverting but the... show more I have a couple of upconverting DVD players that I am looking at, mainly the Denon and Samsung HD960. I am leaning towards the Samsung but just read that it won't upconvert over 480p on component .... which makes little sense to me. It says in the brochure that it needs HDMI for 1080p upconverting but the review I read says that he spoke to Samsung and they say that to upconvert over 480p requires HDMI. Does this makes any sense? To me, no. So, my question is ... are there upconverting DVD players that some would recommend that will upconvert over component (since my receiver does not have HDMI)? I am not sure what I would lose if I went from my DVD to the TV with HDMI and then from the receiver to the TV via optical.
3 answers 3