Upconverting DVD Players: Component vs. HDMI?

I have a couple of upconverting DVD players that I am looking at, mainly the Denon and Samsung HD960. I am leaning towards the Samsung but just read that it won't upconvert over 480p on component .... which makes little sense to me. It says in the brochure that it needs HDMI for 1080p upconverting but the review I read says that he spoke to Samsung and they say that to upconvert over 480p requires HDMI. Does this makes any sense? To me, no. So, my question is ... are there upconverting DVD players that some would recommend that will upconvert over component (since my receiver does not have HDMI)? I am not sure what I would lose if I went from my DVD to the TV with HDMI and then from the receiver to the TV via optical.

Favorite Answer

Most DVD's that upscale to 1080P have to do so over HDMI since no display I am aware of is capable of 1080P thru anything BUT HDMI. If you want to scale to resolutions other than 480P via component, this defeats the copy protection which is why DVD players don't allow this. Look at the Oppo 970 and then do a search for a hack that allows you do do upscaling over component. Note...I am not telling you to INSTALL this clearly illegal hack, but you can look at it for curiosity's sake.

If you DO have a display capable of 1080P, definitely run your DVD direct to the TV via HDMI. Even if your receiver had HDMI inputs, you may end up doing this anyways since many receivers are having HDCP handshake problems due to the repeater circuits (hopefully they have this problem fixed on the new generation units being introduced at CES as we speak). Simply run an optical cable for the digital audio stream to the receiver...there is no loss. Either that or buy a Blu-Ray or HD-DVD player so you can take advantage of a TV that has 1080P capability. Note, a standard DVD scaled to 1080P is NOT the same as a high definition HD DVD or Blu Ray DVD. The new Toshiba HD XA-2 HD-DVD has awesome standard DVD scaling...better than some high end scalers, so you get the best of both worlds.

Source(s): Designing Home Theater Systems for 26 Years http://www.thesoundbroker.com
  • ?

OK, the consensus of most videophiles is that there is no discernible difference in picture quality between either HDMI or component, both delivering as fine and true and image as is available from the source be it a cable/satellite receiver or a DVD player. That being said, the advice most often given in this circumstance is to go component from your set top box to the TV and leave the HDMI connection for the DVD player.There are valid points for this but I'll present the most important first. Check the manual for your up-scaling DVD player and look for this most important tidbit. Most of the up-scaling players currently on the market will ONLY transmit their enhanced signal when an HDMI cable is used, component still allowing a picture but only at a standard resolution of 480p. This is not set in stone by any means as some players allow full 1080i transfer over either type of cable while others can be 'hacked' to transmit 1080i over a component connection by punching in a simple code accessed via the remote control, a handy bit of advice should one run out of available connection ports on the TV. Another factor in going with component from your receiver is rather simple to explain. A cable is only a conduit, a bridge between to units whose only purpose is signal transfer. It is not imbued with magical properties which allow it to enhance the original signal regardless of wheter the price tag was $25 or $150, at best it can only allow the data to flow with the EXACT quality and resoulution as was sent out from the source. How this comes into play during the decision making process is really quite simple and perhaps even worthy of a resounding "Duh!!!" How does the original signal GET to your reciever, what kind of cable acts as the super highway for all that data? Yup, just a length of simple coax, old as time and while reliable definaltly NOT to considered 'High Tech' by any strech of the imagination. Now if we are to follow conventional wisdom and classify HDMI as 'King of the Hill' in the cable arena then using it as a conduit to transfer a signal that arrived at the source via an obviously inferior conduit(coax) is just a waste of a good cable. On the other hand a DVD player to TV connection has no such flaw, it's a straight point to point type transfer. In theory this means that an HDMI should be the optimum method of said transfer as it is the 'Best' and this is a undiluted signal it has to work with. Sure, under most circumstances you or I neither would nor could detect the subtle nuances that MIGHT be had but hey, we live in a 'Better safe than sorry' world and so it only makes sense to follow such logic whether we can truly see a difference or not. Besides, it's what Mr. Spock would do and there's no faulting his logic! Well, I hope this information helps in your decision making process. It's what I've gleaned from countless AV forums and threads and is the combined wisdom of folks who seem to live and breath this stuff, those souls striving in the pursuit of the 'Ultimate' in the Home Theater experience. Maybe they Are geeks, I'm not judging. As far as I'm concerned everyone needs a hobby. Have a great weekend and happy viewing.

That confused me a little, I'm not sure if I can truly answer your question, but I do know that only HDMI cables can send a true digital signal to the TV, every other cable type is analog, so I'd just connect the DVD to the TV, and seperately connect the DVD to the reciever through optical.