Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentMilitary · 1 decade ago

War in Somalia- How much longer?

Since weve seen airstrikes in Somalia the past two days and with Ethipians fighting there, how much longer will this war last and will the U.S keep attacking with airstrikes everyday and could we potentially see some ground troops

Best Answer

You think we do not have boots on the ground already? For a long time we have been involved in Somolia. We have been doing everything in our power to curb Somolia, I am sure we have provided weapons, money, and training to local Somolians. Ethiopia has probably received American support with this attack into Somolia, I am sure they were given aid in this campaign because it puts their security forces at risks from hostile neighbors.

You have to read between the lines in these media reports. I avoid most radical leftist commentary but read liberal and what I call the underground/alternative media. Conspiracy theorists often have interesting insights into possible situations but should not be taken literally.

What I mean is that the U.S. has gone in there as Ethiopia tries to stabilize the region. Somalia was leaning towards civil war and the Islamic fundamentalist government would have been a problem. They got in power, I think, because of our indifference, social corruption, anarchy and the support of Western aid used for weapons and artillery.

I think the Ethiopian intervention is partly a desire to restore a proper government, self-defense and retribution on Eritrea. I think that it will help to eliminate terrorist training camps in Somalia, which may account for the problems of terrorism and religious fundamentalism in Egypt, as that is not a home-grown problem and is related to foreign intervention and globalization. The Egyptians did not welcome Islamic fundamentalism and terrorism into their country, they are a victim of outside influences and bad foreign policy.

As for their plans for Eritrea, this is what I fear most, an ongoing campaign against Eritreans on the south side of Somalia's border, a perfect launching pad for rockets and bombs.

Don't think they don't want access to Mogadishu's ports as they are now a landlocked country and this 'regime change' that they will back will work to their benefit. The real issue is how any of this will benefit Somalians. I really don't agree with any of it, especially U.S. intervention. I would have preferred that the Ethiopian government call on the U.N. and the E.U. for some diplomatic intervention instead.

With the new development of "African Command," similar to CENTCOM in the Middle East, ground troops are in the future. Exactly what the mission will be and who will be deployed to support it is yet to be figured out. Everything is for the "War on Terror," but we (the US) is failing to look domestically at the terror cells that we have. If you haven't seen the series "Sleeper Cell" you should check it out (Showtime).

- Iraq Vet

Personally, I'd like to take this opportunity to congratulate the Ethiopian army for kicking the living SNOT out of those Islamists in Somolia! Well done!!!

How long? Eveytime a terrorist shows his face he should expect a rocket up the wazoo! How ever long it takes.

Hit 'em until they beg for peace, turn on the terrorists and kill them.

Looks like a good place to test a Neutron Bomb!!!!!

AS LONG AS ISLAMIC EXTREMIST ARE TRYING TO DESTABILIZE THE REGION WE WILL BE THERE TO FIGHT BACK.

• ken y

no that is just practice for when we go to Iran