Why do feminists INSIST that men ACCEPT domestic violence by women?

Do feminists support domestic violence or something? :

FEMINISTS DISRUPT A FORUM ON BATTERED HUSBANDS

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qodygTkTUYM

Youtube thumbnail

The evidence is right there in motion picture colour. Despite violence against men by women in intimate relationships has been found to equal OR EXCEED that of women by men:

http://www.csulb.edu/~mfiebert/assault.htm

Feminists STILL protest when the men try to get any help at all.

This is in addition to the obviously biased Violence Against WOMEN Act, which only ever specifically mentions women as victims and only ever specifically mentions men as in need of education on how to not be violent.

With mandatory arrest laws women like this were arrested in droves, so feminists passed "primary abuser" legislation to have the man arrested EVEN IF HE CALLED THE POLICE AND SUFFERED AN ATTACK and even though the premise is proven false:

http://www.ncfmla.org/dv_data.html

So, why do feminists insist that men be subjected to violence by women?

Favorite Answer

The definition of the word "feminist" has been terribly distorted to mean that women are superior to men. This IS NOT in the true spirit of feminism.

Don't let these extremists taint your view of what true feminism is: the equal treatment of women with men, and the empowerment to allow women to do whatever they want (including be strippers, stay at home mom's, and misled psycho feminists).

• zilmag

Hypocrisy. Even people who have a good cause are occasionally hypocrites.

It's a side point, but one should take into account the capacity for most women to hurt most men, when comparing the rates of incidence of violence across the sexes. Most women would be EASILY subdued by most men -- well, if the men weren't having to worry about having the tables turned on them... anyway, that is, I think, why most feminists make a bigger deal about violence against women by men, than the other way around. Just because it is intuitively much more threatening.

I'm a feminist myself and I agree with you that this kind of thing is a problem. It annoys me because it gives feminism a bad name.

As a long term DV advocate and previous victim, I do not support or encourage violence as a option to anything EXCEPT defense of myself, children, home. I believe the idea is what is called a backlash. At our local DV shelter we work with men, too. Many of these men are other than heterosexual. But, we still work with men. DV is not about hurting someone, it is about using power to control another person. If you do that to any group of people over time--it explodes on the perpetrator. Like the civil rights on the 60's. Domaination, status, power, and control are the means to keep others down and someone else UP.

I'd just like to address an opinion that was expressed regarding the "capacity for most women to hurt most men".

It is probably true statistically that the "average woman" engaging in hand to hand combat with the "average man" is likely to come off the worse. But, not everyone is average and there are small men and big women out there. Furthermore, in my country (Australia), it has been found that when women are the perpetrators of domestic violence, they are more than five times as likely to use a weapon (whereas men almost never do). So even a tiny woman can beat up a big guy if she is prepared to use weapons (for example, knives, baseball bats, frying pans etc...).

just like some men are misogynists, some women are misandrists. the "man-bashers".

I'm inclined to believe that in abusive intimate relationships, men are very likely to be the abused, perhaps more often emotionally then physically, but I've seen it many times.

why does it happen? women get away with it easier. it's a social double standard. You're right, it's wrong. Women should not be able to abuse their partners any more then men abuse women.

why do some "feminists" have a problem with that? years of built up mistrust and hatred toward men and a (regrettably socially accepted) attitude that men should be punished for centuries of domination.

yes, it's as foolish as it sounds. true feminists are equalists and care just as much about men's rights as they do women's.

I think you bring up a lot of good points and also I believe that women are as just as capable of being violent as men are. I am not a feminist myself and I have had verbal attacks brought on by a number of women who think like that so I don't even have to view that video I already know.

Both women and men can be bullies and controling because they have to have their own way and if you don't agree with them well they will shoot you down and probably beat you up for it if you don't agree with their kind of thinking.

http://www.ncpamd.com/Bullies.htm

http://members.aol.com/kthynoll/bully.htm

Personally I would march against violence of any sort but not with a group of just women only. I would march with other men who are against violence as well mainly because I think it's an issue that affects both sexes of all races.

If I happen to take the side of a man it's because I have known men to have been abused by women mainly their mothers which in turn affects how they raise their children. Some cases and not all will some men turn out to be horrible fathers and that's because the mothers who beat the crap out of them were not good mothers.

I look at both sides when it comes to men and women mainly because it's not always the man's fault. I have even had to come clean in some of my own relationships with men because I know that I have not always been perfect. As for the guys they have to grow up and realize that for themselves.

There are extremists in every cause.

Most feminists believe in the equality of men and women and strive to achieve that.

The type of feminist you are talking about are ones that believe women are superior. Most feminists do not insist that men be subject to violence by women - we deplore all violence whoever it is committed by.

Attacking someone whether male or female is a criminal offence - and must be punished by the law enforcing agencies. I do not think any feminists will support this violence.

These aren't feminists, these are extremists. Feminism is about equal rights, not female superiority over men. You are taking the actions of a few and assuming the same applies to all. That is ignorant and you know it.

Domestic Violence is a criminal offense, be the offender male or female. Your feminist groups can whine about that law, but they can't change it.