After reconstruction some white southerners began to use violance to keep blacks from fighting for..?

their civil rights. one of the most common forms of violance was _________

what would fit best in teh blank?

Favorite Answer

If this is NOT a question pertaining to a homework assignment, then I don't understand why post it. If we continue to constantly remind people of PAST and REGRETTABLE errors in American history, how are we ever going to live in harmony with one another? I am truly sorry for what my forefathers did to black people (including my great-grandfather who was justifiably hung for killing a black man in Cumberland County, Tennessee) but it can't be changed, so why dwell on it?

• Randy

Faceless coercion was the primary tool. Those initiating the coercion were unknown and therefore anyone in the community could be the source of fear. Periodic whippings backed up by some hangings maintained the fear.

This wasn’t across the entire South and came and went in cycles. It was also similar to committees used further in the west. While it was primarily focused on blacks, it came to be used against any who went against the norms of local society. I can remember my father telling of when he was a small boy (about 1920) that a local (white) man would commonly beat his family. One night a group of men came to his house and took him out of the house into the yard where they held him over a barrel and whipped him until he agreed to no longer beat his family.

For better or worse, when local people percieve that their society is breaking down, similar actions can happen anywhere.

"smacking junior high school students upside the head when they don't bother to do their own research for their homework assignments."

Does that fit in the blank?

Don't ask us to help you plagiarize, girl. For God's sake, at least do you own Googling!!

• bl

lynching

it's a pretty grim part of American history

lynching of course.

tell me you know this already. or you are in Jr highschool and this is your homework.

Murder