Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthOther - Health · 1 decade ago

hiccups problems...I get these things and can't get rid of them...been called a "croaking frog" before...HELP!

I get these really bad hiccups and can't seem to get rid of them...any suggestions...drinking water and holding my breath or somebody scaring me doesn't work anymore...really getting annoying...PLEASE HELP!!!!!

Best Answer

Did you try drinking water upside down? Works every time for me. Just bend over and drink a glass of water from the opposite side of the glass. Try it...it really works! I've had others try it with success too. It works cause it changes your diaphram when you swallow in that position. (Holding your breath and the sugar thing never work for me.)

How to Cure Hiccups

While a doctor might claim that all hiccup "cures" are really just old wives tales that have zero effect, other people claim that their favorite pet cure works every time. This is most likely due to a placebo effect and resignation to the universal yet under rated condition of problem hiccups (singultus). Interestingly, some of these folk remedies are on the correct path by having at least some basis in the science of the hiccup and singultus. With home remedies, the methods that attempt to relax or stimulate the diaphragm tend to be the most effective. Whether that “remedy‿ is a miracle cure or placebo effect is for you to decide. Here are some proposed methods that some people believe work. Your results may vary.

Check outhe website hope it helps!

I have heard that there is a nerve that runs somewhere between your upper lip and the bottom of your nose that if pressed hard enough and correctly with your finger, you can stop hiccups. Try pressing in the middle where the little "dip" above your lip is. It might be an old wives tale, I dont know. Just try it, it might work.

• Try swallowing 10 times you own saliva before the next hiccup or drink a 16 oz glass of water! But make sure to swallow 10 times!

Put 1 teaspoonful of sugar in you're mouth and swallow it.

Now, I've heard the most outrageous, dumb comments to that!

A cashier was hiccuping, and I suggested that. And the first guy on line said to her, Sounds like if you do that, you'll get more than that!

She gave a funny look and said, Yeah!

What? What ya gonna get from 1 teaspoon of pure cane sugar, natural, that grew out in a field right on the cane plant?!

Ooh! I sure am afraid of that sugar! That's gonna hurt me.

We consume probably 10 times more than that in a day and don't even think about it. Even if we are diabetics, with usually no harm.

The people who said it, do to.

Source(s): The Doctor's Book of Home Remedies Rodale Press It's just about totally fool proof. It comes to you almost 100 percent garanteed. Works for me.

If you have the hiccups for a prolonged period of time you can be given a Thorzine injection to get rid of them.

Eat a spoonful of peanut butter. It really works!! I always do that if I get hiccups. If you allergic sorry can't help.

try breathing threw a towel-take big deep breaths . After 2 or 3 breaths, hold your breath as long as you can. You have to be completely relaxed or it wont work.

you'll need to hold your breath for a longer period of time. holding your breath properly is the only way, that I know of, for stopping hiccups.

Stand with your back straight up against a wall and drink a glass of water without tipping your head back.

Works every time for me!