Help with trim color in bedroom (yellow walls/antique black furniture/oak floors)?

Follow
  • Follow publicly
  • Follow privately
  • Unfollow
I recently purchased a new bedroom set (an antique black color) and am trying to redo the room before it arrives. I'm hoping to paint the walls a buttery yellow color, and I have ...show more
Best Answer
Same shade as the furniture.
  • Rate
  • Comment

Other Answers (14)

Rated Highest
  • Rated Highest
  • Oldest
  • Newest
  • lily y answered 7 years ago
    sounds really classy. So going with a buttery cream lighter than walls would be a safe choice....but... a real statement can be made, if you dare to use the colour red, maybe a crimsom or cranberry.
    • 1
    • Comment
  • Stig answered 7 years ago
    reddish cherry color
    • 1
    • Comment
  • ihavethat45 answered 7 years ago
    I had a similar problem in my living room. We went with white and I love it. It's so crisp and clean.

It seems the black furniture will contrast beautifully with the combination of yellow, white, and oak. It sounds very fresh and colonial, or cottage, to me.
    • Rate
    • Comment
  • Nettie Black answered 7 years ago
    They say you really can't go wrong with color. It depends what you want the room to look like. If you want subdued and elegant stay in the same grouping of colors, almost monochromatic with different variances of yellow, golds, oranges, creams and browns (trim and accessorize in keeping with this pallette)... If you want the room to still look classy but be striking and somewhat edgy, take your main color "buttery yellow" and strike to the exact OPPOSITE on the color wheel... which is a rich, dark violet color. This is called a complimentary colour composition ie: two colors that are completely opposite from each other and a 3rd (probably in the decor somewhere) to soften the contrast and bring the room together.
    • Rate
    • Comment
  • Delilah answered 7 years ago
    That sounds beautiful. You might try this: Take the least dominant color in your comforter or bedspread (I'm assuming it isn't a neutral and that it has more than one color in it.) Paint the trim in this shade, or a shade or two lighter than this shade. If your comforter is one shade, you might try painting the trim in the shade of the comforter.
    Good luck.
    • Rate
    • Comment
  • Anna Hennings answered 7 years ago
    White may be a bit too much but it all depends on what kind of statement you want to make. It could look very nice. If I were you I would go with a softer color. Yellow and oak are both soft and warm, the black furniture makes it pop from within, I would do a cream color trim. Not white but off white which will not take away from the furniture or compete with it but still make a statement and blend in nicely. Textured crown molding is a really nice idea too, something with like a tooth trim would also add character to the room rather than just the plain smooth trim. Good luck.
    • Rate
    • Comment
  • mommy_of_2 answered 7 years ago
    Hello, I think a pretty light mocha, almond ( brown family) would be great with the Oak flooring and antique black furniture. Yellows and brown go really nice together. I would stay away from white also! I have my bathroom painted a pretty light yellow and my cabinets in the bathroom are a distressed dark oak! It looks amazing! I hope this helped some. I think your bedroom is going to look beautifull There is also a virtual website you can go to and put colors you like on a bedroom wall to see what it would look like.I LOVE playing wiith it. I'll attach the links below ... Good Luck, and Take Care :)

http://sherlink.sherwin.com/swapp/color_...

Source(s):

My husband has worked in a household paint store for nearly 8 yrs :)
    • Rate
    • Comment
  • zilmag answered 7 years ago
    A shade of cream-yellow lighter than the wall but still yellow.
    Or if you really want rustic and cozy, a warm buttery tan slightly darker than the wall. But I think that'd only work if your rooms and windows are really outsized.

You might also consider using different intensity colors of butter yellow for different walls / different rooms; that'd make the cream-yellow trim even less strikingly light.
    • Rate
    • Comment
  • lacey answered 7 years ago
    you dont want your eyes to be all on the trim,
    more of the furniture.
    so id go with a color that about half way lighter than your furniter
    • Rate
    • Comment
  • vieveia answered 7 years ago
    Go with the white. My bedroom is similar colors and I was worried about the same thing but we painted the trim white and I love it.
    • Rate
    • Comment
  • Sign In 

to add your answer

• JAMI E answered 7 years ago
    I like white but a mustard maybe. go get some colorcodes from the paint store and go thru them.
    • Rate
    • Comment
  • bella9566 answered 7 years ago
    I say go a couple of shades darker than the color of your walls, it won't be too busy by adding another color like white and it won't clash with the walls and furniture. Just go off the same pallette that you got your paint from.
    • Rate
    • Comment
  • Alyssa R answered 7 years ago
    light purple............... or light green
    • Rate
    • Comment
  • Pinkie_&_the_Brain answered 7 years ago
    a dark chocolate color sounds like it would go well with your other colors
    • Rate
    • Comment

Who is following this question?

%
    BEST ANSWERS
    Member Since:
    Points: Points: Level
    Total Answers:
    Points this week:
    Follow

Unfollow

Block

Unblock