Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

What is the major religion in China?

I think it is Buddhism, but what sect?

Update:

No, it is definitely not Christianity....

Update 2:

I'm sorry, in places like Thailand, Buddhism about the only religion. You have your facts a little mistaken.

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

All of the following religions are practiced in China

1Heaven worship

2 Buddhism

3 Taoism

4 Islam

5 Christianity

6 Judaism

7 Recent sects

.....Falun Gong

..... Way of Former Heaven

Buddhists 8%, with more than 200,000 monks and nuns. This value is seen as extremely low because there are more than 16,000 Buddhist temples that do not maintain traditional congregations.

Taoists, unknown as a percentage, there are more than 25,000 Taoist monks and nuns at more than 1,500 temples. Taoist belief is often intertwined with both Buddhism and traditional folk religions.

Muslims, 1.4%, with more than 45,000 Imams. Other estimates are much higher.

Protestant Christians, 1.2% with official churches. It is estimated that another 2.5% of the population is a Protestant Christian worshipping through an unofficial house church.

Catholic Christians, 6% with official churches, and the Vatican claims up to another 10% who are Catholics attending Catholic services at underground churches.

It should be noted, however, that statistics relating to Buddhism and religious Taoism are to some degree incomparable with statistics for Islam and Christianity. This is due to the traditional Chinese belief system which blends Confucianism, Buddhism, and Taoism, so that a person who follows a traditional belief system would not necessarily identify him- or herself as either Buddhist or Taoist, despite regularly attending Buddhist or Taoist places of worship.

Most people report no organized religious affiliation; however, belief in folk traditions and non-religious spiritual beliefs, such as ancestor worship and feng shui, along with informal ties to local temples and unofficial house churches is in the hundreds of millions.

• 1 decade ago

Buddhism is not a major religion in any part of the world. There are some Chinese Christians, but the main "religion" is Confucianism. I put the quote marks there because although it does involve religious rites like ancestor worship, it is more of an intellectual and ethical school of thought than a true spiritual religion.

• Witchy
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

I thought it was Mahayana Buddhism.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religion_in_China#Bud...

See picture on right. But as we know, Wikipedia isn't always correct.

MyPreshus:

Interesting. Do you have any references for that? I'd like to look into it further.

• 1 decade ago

I believe it is Buddhist

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

It may also be Hinduism as well.

• 1 decade ago

christianity they just dont know it yet

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.