me asked in Science & MathematicsZoology · 1 decade ago

what is the oldest and numerous class of animals?

ok this is a class thing so i need an answer ..... i would really appreciate if i could have a true answer........... this could bring me down

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

zoo plankton millions of tiny animals that travel on the oceans currents

• 1 decade ago

Class Insecta has about 925,000 described species with estimates ranging from 2 million to fifty million species, yet to be discovered, thought to exist. Insects were around roughly 500 million years ago feeding on the first primitive land plants and each other. More specialized insects hit the scene about 350 million years ago.

Sponges are an older class of animals but not as diverse. Called Porifera, I believe. Actually that's a phylum, not a class, I see three classes but there is about 5,000 modern species of sponges and they go back nearly a billion years!!

• 1 decade ago

Well, I think sponges are among the oldest animals. Pretty sure they predate insects. Only, they're not all in the same class and they're certainly not more numerous than insects.

• 1 decade ago

Sponges are the first (oldest) of the "animals". Insects are the most diverse.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    4 years ago

So amazed that I found this topic already answered! Its like you've read my mind!

• 1 decade ago

Insects, I believe. Invertebrates in general.

If we don't consider microscopic beings.

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

This might be feasible

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.