Thoughts on Alice in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass?

I am looking for intelligent conversation on Alice In Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass, so if you have read either of these and have any thoughts on them, please share.

THIS IS NOT FOR HOMEWORK, just at work and looking for intelligent conversation.
Update: The tales were truly meant as children's stories, Lewis Carroll told them to his friend's little girls, the Liddells, while rowing them up the Thames River, and the title character is one of the girls (alice, obviously) So there were no hallucinogens involved.
Update 2: colmcgin: I, sadly, have yet to read Frank L. Baum... Too caught up in the world of "grown up" literature, which is no fun for the imagination.
Update 3: Lindsay S: The most disturbing to me are the affairs the Sword in the Stone author, T.H. White, had with his students in an all boys school in Stowe, England! On a more literary note, yes, I do enjoy Through the Looking Glass' ploy of a game within the game, and especially love the interaction with humpty... show more Lindsay S: The most disturbing to me are the affairs the Sword in the Stone author, T.H. White, had with his students in an all boys school in Stowe, England!
On a more literary note, yes, I do enjoy Through the Looking Glass' ploy of a game within the game, and especially love the interaction with humpty dumpty, as it reminds me of some many "grown ups" I encounter!