juzi asked in HealthOther - Health · 1 decade ago

would antibiotic "Omnicef" be good from a bad cough?

Favorite Answer

Omnicef is an antibiotic for treating bacterial infections like pneumonia, bronchitis, sinus infections, tonsillitis, ear infections, and skin infections. Unless you have an infection I don't recommend taking it, you don't want to build up an immunity to it and then when you need it, it does no good. Also Omnicef does have some side effects, I know personally it makes me very nauseous but other side effects are rash, redness, or itching; seizures; severe nausea, vomiting, or diarrhea; mucous or blood in the stool; or unusual bleeding or bruising and in women yeast infections. It is always best to consult your doctor before taking prescription medications. Good luck to you and your cough.

If it's just a cough, then no. Antibiotics are used to treat bacterial infections and unless your cough is caused by a bacterial infection, then it's not going to do anything. Most coughs are from a cold- which is a virus- which cannot be treated with antibiotics.

Your best bet is to see your doctor- they'll be able to judge why you have this cough and the best course of action.

i took omnicef for a sinus infection, so a bad cough. try over the counter cough supressants.