Wanted - Mechanical info for 98 Mercy Grand Marquee auto repair.?

Our 1998 Grand Marquee 4.6 liter V8 has a small crack on top of intake where the thermos goes. Apparently it is plastic and to buy the part is supposed to be over $200. Is there a way to repair the small crack? Husband needs advice.

Favorite Answer

ford motor company had a lawsuit filed against them for those small cracks and had to do a repair for free. you may still be able to get it done, but i had mine done but wasn't able to get my refund as i filed for it too late. the affected models were 1996 to 2004.

if they won't do the repair, free 0of charge, get a rplacement intake, but have it made of metal, not the junk ford installed.

• J.R.

You can use a good soldering iron with a plastic welding attachment. I have used this on plastic bumpers and on plastic motorcycle fenders. It should make a strong enough weld to hold the water pressure. If he doesn't feel confident doing this, try finding the part at a salvage yard, or an aftermarket parts store. The 4.6 is used in most of the larger ford cars and trucks, so there will be a lot of them out there. If they are all made of plastic, maybe some aftermarket parts maker is making them out of aluminum or cast iron. This would be a great upgrade, in my opinion. Good luck!

• Johnny

It was under a law suit in Chamberlain Vs Ford. I'm Sorry but the dead line was this year in January. I had the same thing happen to my 96 GM and I wasn't aware of it till I got the car to a shop that had done this repair to many other 4.6 V8's I paid almost $800. 00 for the part and labor. I would call your dealer to find out where you stand with the law suit.

Good Luck...

Source(s): Been there, done that and still lost....

Contact your local ford dealership with the Vin number to see if you car has the extended coverage. If it dose be aware before you tow it to the dealer that not all cracks in the manifold will be covered. This only applies to cracks in a specific spot. If it is not covered by ford you would be better off replacing the manifold. since the plastic is already brittle and cracking. There is A chance of more serious problems down the road. good luck

de bossy one is right. the replacements from ford are made of metal. you can also look up "dorman" on the internet or have your auto parts store look ing their catalog. dorman makes hard to find aftermarket parts for all kinds of problem areas and recalls. and they especially make replacement manifolds for ford and gm that were made of plastic originally

Source(s): mechanic for 8 years