Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 1 decade ago

in german what is the difference between "das" and "dass"?

they both mean "that" dont they? but whats the difference

Favorite Answer

"Das" has a variety of meanings. It is the neuter form of "the", but can also mean "this" and "that", the latter translation used as a relative pronoun. Examples:

Das Boot--the boat.

Das ist der Bleistift.-This is the pencil.

Das ist das Mädchen, das ißt.--This is the girl that is eating.

"Dass" was originally spelled "daß", and is still spelled that way by some people, particularly those who do not accept the German spelling reforms of 1996. In some books published prior to that, notably including the Berlitz Self-Teacher German, it would have been spelled "dass" anyway because the publishers either did not have, or did not want to use, the ß character. The word means "that", as used to introduce a subordinate clause. Example: "Ich weiß, daß das Thomsens Boot ist."--"I know that this is Thomsen's boat."

Source(s): I speak German.

Both 'das' and 'dass' mean 'that' in German, though both have different grammatical functions. 'Das' (which also functions as the definite article of neuter nouns in the nominative and accusative grammatical cases), when used to mean 'that', functions either as a relative pronoun or a demonstrative pronoun. 'Dass', on the other hand, functions as a conjunction. Thus, clareydairy's use of 'dass' is incorrect, as it is functioning as a relative pronoun. In this instance, 'dass' should be 'das', i.e.:

'Ich lese dieses Buch, das ich gestern gekauft habe'.

Incidentally, use of either 'das' as a relative pronoun or 'dass' always sends the first verb, auxiliary or otherwise, to the end of the clause (not necessarily, however, the sentence).

The following are examples of all three grammatical functions of 'das' and 'dass' that I have mentioned:

*'das' as a demonstrative pronoun

'Das ist mein Auto' ('That is my car')

*'das' as a relative pronoun

'Frankreich ist ein Land, das ich liebe' ('France is a country that I love')

*'dass' as a conjunction

'Sie sagte, dass sie mich liebe' ('She said that she loves me')

In the following sentence I have used the word 'das' thrice; once as a demonstrative pronoun, once as a definite article (English: the), and once as a relative pronoun:

'Das ist das Kind, das die Bonbons genommen hat'. ('That is the child that took the sweets')

"das" means the, it's the definite article e.g.

das Buch liegt auf dem Tisch = the book is on the table

and "dass" is there to give more information to form a subordinate clause and means that or which.......

ich lese dieses Buch, dass ich gestern gekauft habe = I'm reading the book that/which I bought yesterday

note that when you use 'dass' the auxilary verb (here it's haben) moves to the end of the sentence as here with 'habe'.

viel Spass!

I speak no English... means you speak no English at all Ich spreche kein Englisch. If you are male, and you want to say that you aren't a German, then you need to say either.. Ich bin kein Deutscher or you can say.. ''Ich bin nicht Deutsch'' as a female you can say ''Ich bin ''keine Deutsche'' that is the female form if you have the 'E' at the end of kein Ich trinke keinen Kaffee. = I don't drink coffee (meaning never) Ich rauche nicht = I don't smoke (meaning never) Ich bin kein Professor = I am not a Professor Ich bin keine Krankenschwester = I am not a nurse and you say ''keine'' because ''Krankenschwester ''is female so therefore the ''e'' at the end.. Ich spreche Deutsch nicht sehr gut = I speak German not very well or you can say.. I only speak a little German ''Ich spreche nur ein wenig Deutsch''

"das" is the article from neutral gender . Means "the"

"dass" means "that"

Dass it means "That"

But Das is the same thing than "The"...

Dass = that

Das = that

difference.......extra s

but depending on what else you use it with it can differ the meaning.

Das = the (neuter).

Dass = that.

• Apolo

das

dass

=

this

that

"das" is an article. It means "the" for neutral gendered nouns. "Dass" is the connecting "that" as in, "This is the book that I gave you."