regboi45 asked in HealthOther - Health · 1 decade ago

what foods could i eat to lower my acid reflux?

2 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Best Answer

the issue in gastro-esophageal reflux is reflux which means BACKFLOW . its not like someone who has an ulcer , where ANYTHING irritating to the stomach should be avoided, rather , only factors causing food to go up the food-pipe are to be avoided

1-A LITTLE !

that word is most important for you to keep in mind!

a little at a time !

even LIQUIDS will torment you if you fill your stomach .

2-the foods you should AVOID is more important :-

too much fatty food makes the meal stay in the stomach for a longer time .

chili, spices, onions and garlic cause the upper stomach valve to dilate , making the food go up your esophagus when you lie back .

pepsi,coke,coffe,tea all contain CAFFEINE which also causes the upper stomach valve to dilate .

NICOTINE in cigarettes will also dilate the upper stomach valve .

alcohol also causes the same by dilating the whole stomach like in people who drink beer .

in general , EATING A LIGHT MEAL RICH IN VEGETABLES AT LEAST 1 AND A HALF HOURS BEFOREYOU GO TO SLEEP AT NIGHT .

3-timing :-.

TIMING is important because if someone eats then IMMEDIATELY reclines (sleeping) the food will be PUSHED up by gravity .

so there should be a gap between EATING and SLEEPING .

4- pressure on the belly

when pressure on the belly increases (like in otherwise healthy PREGNANT WOMEN ) food is pushed upward from the stomach to the foodpipe .

avoid tight clothes .

if you are OBESE , do exercise to decrease the BELLY size .

Cough also increases reflux , so that should be treated .

Source(s): 1-i am a doctor . 2-i used to have severe reflux to the extent that i would wake up at night and vomit my dinner . this all got better when i followed a diet and lost weight .
  • 3 years ago

Source(s): Eliminate Heartburn In Weeks : http://HeartburnNoMore.duebq.com/?NAP
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.