? asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 1 decade ago

I'm looking for an interesting autobiography. Do you have any recommendations?

Favorite Answer

Though some of these are more in the vein of memoirs, you might like...

Angela's Ashes (or) Teacher Man by Frank McCourt

Escape from Slavery by Francis Bok (from Sudan)

Incidents in the Life of a Slave Girl by Harriet Jacobs (19th century U.S.)

Bad Boy by Walter Dean Myers (mid-20th century, author's growing up in Harlem)

Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi (graphic novel about Iran circa 1970's', 80's)

Fat Girl by Judith Moore (reflections on obesity)

Hunger of Memory by Richard Rodriguez (kind of pretentious Mexican-American identity piece)

Hole in My Life by Jack Gantos (children's book author got busted for drug trafficking in his youth)

When I Was Puerto Rican (or) Almost a Woman by Esmeralda Santiago (coming of age, 1st mostly set in Puerto Rico, second after moving to NYC)

(PS Miss Jane Pittman did not write an autobiography. Ernest Gaines wrote it and called it an autobiography)

You should definitely check out The Autobiography of Ms. Jane Pittman. Both the book and the movie are fantastic.

I would also recommend I Know Why the Caged Birds Sing.

• goldie

I haven't found any autobiographies that I would especially recommend. I would say stay away from Augustine Burroughs (Running With Scissors was one of his books). Total trash. I read recently that like so many other authors some of his recollections are being questioned--the foster family he stayed with made a statement refuting some of the things he said.

• Vaughn

The autobiography of Ben Franklin has been hugely popular since it was written.

Kitchen Confidential by Anthony Bourdain. It's a slice of his life and career, very entertaining.

bell hooks' Bone Black

ever come across autobiography written in the third person! wonderful read!

Diary of a Genius by Salvador Dali

Ham on Rye by Charles Bukowski. That is if you are looking for a something real and not bound by word games. There are no metaphors here.

ME by Katherine Hepburn

If it can be non historical, pick your favorite musician. If it's historical, pick your favorite historical person. Me personally, I would read about Daron Malakian of System of a Down.

Source(s): soadfans.com/Daron_Malakian.htm