How severe do the side effects of Lupron Depot have to be before I report it to my Dr.?

I Took My First shot of lupron depot about 3 weeks ago to treat endometrious. My Dr gave me a lower dosage trial month to see if I could tolerate the hormone. So far side effects haven't been as bad as i had anticipated. However, i have had severe aches in what feels like the bones especially in my legs and arms. I have been diagnosed with migrains and have had a light headache everyday for the past week and a half. Also, I have experienced some daily nausea and my moods haven't been all that stable but even that has been at a minimum. I have to decide soon if I should go on the stronger dose for three months or not. I'mm concerned because every other therapy I have tried including diet and homeopathic has not worked. I'm tired of sufferring from this and just want some relief. The only other options I have are live with the pain or have a hysterectomy. I'm only 28. If any one has any insight please let me know.


By the way my Dr. is an ob/gyn and fertility specialist. I currently have two children and am divorced. I am not sure if i want more children in the future. Just tired of the pain.

4 Answers

  • Endo
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

    First, I'm sorry you have Endo and are dealing with all the Lupron side effects. A few things...

    1) A one month dosage will not indicate anything. The patient must go into clinical flare - about the 3rd month - before her hormones are truly suppressed and any benefit the drug might (and I stress *might*) have kicks in. If you are feeling this poorly only after the first shot, it is unlikely your side effects will decrease with time. Many, many women continue to experience negative and long-lasting effects for years after the cessation of therapy as well.

    2) The dosages are the same - the difference is they are broken down either to 3.75 mg over the course of 6 months or given as the 11.75 mg dosage, given over 3 months. One is not necessarily more effective or tolerable than the other, and any doctor saying differently is outright lying (or is just one of the many docs on the take from TAP []) - there is no clinical or pharmaceutical data whatsoever to support such a claim.

    3) I strongly suggest visiting and reading the following articles, even if you can only relate to them a little bit. The information therein is invaluable to any Lupron user:

    4) Hysterectomy isn't a cure, and you have options. Your best bet is to check out a specialty surgery center such as Dr. Redwine or the CEC at and There on those sites you can learn about excision, why GnRH and other medical therapy is only temporarily helpful if at all (and potentially harmful) and look into getting your case evaluated by a renowned expert for free. Help is out there and you don't have to live with the pain and subpar treatments being offered to you.

    I also suggest visiting and for information and experiences, ideas, helpful hints and support from others who have been in your shoes.

    Lastly, any side effect that is intolerable should be reported to your doctor - there is no schedule or requirement as to how long a patient must wait before she brings such complaints to her physician's attention. If he or she subsequently ignores or minimizes that patient's complaints, that patient should think about finding a new doc.

    Good luck and remember you are not alone with this.

    PS "fertility specialist" does not = "endometriosis specialist." Most fertility specialists are not interested in anything other than bypassing the Endo to achieve pregnancy, not in actually excising and removing the disease through advanced surgical techniques. Many fertility specialists worth their salt won't even treat Endo, instead preferring to send their patients to specialty Endo centers for definitive treatment first (which often resolves the infertility) before placing their patients on any IVF or ART protocols.

  • 4 years ago


    Source(s): Fertility Treatments
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

    I would suggest that you consult a fertility specialist; doctors who deal with fertility issues will be up-to-date on dealing with endometriosis, whether or not you are trying to conceive at this time. If you're having trouble now (and it sounds like you are), then now is the time to contact your doctor.

  • Anonymous
    6 years ago


    If you are trying to conceive without success,

    you can try to check here

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.