Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenCleaning & Laundry · 1 decade ago

stain removing?

how do i get black waste engine oil out of blue carpets?any logical suggestions would be gratefully recieved

Favorite Answer

I don't know if you have a Joann's Fabric Store around you, but maybe any fabric store would have it. There is this stuff called Grandma's Secret Spot Remover. (I found a link for it too... it's below.) It says: "Just a drop is all it takes to remove oil, grease, paint, make-up, grass, clay, inks, blood, baby formula, rust, tar, etc." Follow the directions on the bottle.

The story behind it is: “A while back, Grandma made her first batch of spot remover to clean Grandpa's stained work clothes. Soon word got around about how well it cleaned and then everyone from moms to Larry the local mechanic wanted some."

First, get yourself a wet-vac... then check any type of degreaser sold in the cleaning section. Something like citru-solve or another orange based product. Try wetting the area with the cleaner and leaving it for several minutes before vacuuming it up. You may need to repeat this process several times. You didn't mention if this is a wall to wall or an area carpet. Of course, if this is wall to wall and is in otherwise good shape, you may want to call in a professional cleaner and see what they can do. Most should at least give you a free estimate. Don't give up. I once had rust stains on a pale celery green carpet and I completely removed them with this method. If you don't have a wet-vac you can buy a cheap, small one at Wal-Mart or Home Depot... Good luck...

When I get oil on the carpeting of my car I use a degreaser/cleaner like Orange cleaner, the kind that comes in a tub. That should take it out. Then you can shampoo that area. It takes grease to lift grease. If you go to a dealership, they can tell you what they use to get grease out of carpeting. Whatever they use doesnt leave a stain of anykind and should be ok for your carpets

One of my tenants left engine oil on my cream carpets ....

I removed it by shampooing in warm water with HG carpet shampoo. I used my bissell carpet shampoo machine, but i guess you could hire a carpet cleaner. I have tried several brands of carpet cleaner in the past - but HG definitely managed where others failed.

It took a couple of goes on the really dirty bits - but my charming tenant had actually stripped an engine down in the living room, and the carpets came up like new, so it does work.

Good luck!

Go to you local hardware shop or supermarket. They sell these little bottles of stain remover that are specific for certain stains. I'm pretty sure I've seen a grease/oil one before. They're only a couple of quid and I've tried the ones for coffee and wine and they both worked really well.

You'll need to sop up all the loose oil you can FIRST. Use cotton rags and gently press the stain -- when that side is covered, switch to a new side or new cloth.

You'll need a product that cuts oil --- or professional cleaner. Carpet cleaners should know how to get oil out.

Lifes

White Wizzard (from Lakeland or Kleeneze)/Stain Devils from hardware shop/ Eucalyptus oil/ Carbon tetrachloride from chemist. I would try Amanda's Resolve first though, it sounds good. You can try the others after if she is wrong. My husband regularly comes in with shoes that have black tar on them from asphalt and I have used all of the others at one time or the other successfully.

• boddie

in case you have already washed and dried the pants, then the stain is already set and you will no longer get it out. How approximately soaking the pants in Clorox ll ? it incredibly is a secure non clorine bleach and you'd be able to apply it on colours.

Try Resolve with Oxy action or something like that. It removed asphalt stains from my carpet - I was shocked!

Dawn dish washing liquid is very effective on grease and oil stains.