Why do they call Washington D.C. the district of columbia??

How is this district in the U.S. a district of Columbia. Columbia is in South America.

Favorite Answer

It is called District of Columbia, because it was built on land of the Territory of Columbia, a 10 square mile piece of land, that used to be part of Virginia and Maryland. The territory of Columbia was named such after Christopher Columbus.

OK, I had to edit my post for the responce of the person below me. What I take from that answer is that it is called DC because it was built on land of the territory of Columbia, with a U. Not Colombia with an O! Columbia named for COLUMBUS, not Colombus. the city was named after President George Washington and the district was named after Christopher Columbus, who discovered America. So before you burst my bubble, maybe you should try re-reading the information.

• orrell

the district occupied fullyyt by skill of the city of Washington; chosen by skill of George Washington because of the fact the positioning of the rustic's capital and created out of land ceded by skill of Maryland and Virginia

Sorry to burst your bubble but...

COLOMBIA IS IN SOUTH AMERICA, COLOMBIA!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colombia

COLOMBIA! WITH "O" INSTEAD OF "U"

EDITION

I didn't burst your bubble, I burst the bubble of the asker.

Colombia is named after Columbus too, but the Italian name of Columbus: Colombo, that's why it is with "O".

lol I live there . Thats a good question . May it have some thing to do with it ?

Because thats the name of it!