Scripting Active X controls in Firefox?

I have been asked to script an embedded media player. just simply place a button on the page that restarts the video should a user click it. I can get it to work fine in IE. Is there a way to get this to work in Firefox ? That is without asking every firefox user change their browser settings or download... show more I have been asked to script an embedded media player. just simply place a button on the page that restarts the video should a user click it.

I can get it to work fine in IE.

Is there a way to get this to work in Firefox ?
That is without asking every firefox user change their browser settings or download anything extra
Update: I am aware of how to embed media player. I am looking for script access to the embedded player as described in my question. To further clarify the media player plays 3 clips one after the other. What I need it to do is go back to the first clip and play that again. most users are too illiterate to work out... show more I am aware of how to embed media player.
I am looking for script access to the embedded player as described in my question.
To further clarify the media player plays 3 clips one after the other.
What I need it to do is go back to the first clip and play that again.
most users are too illiterate to work out how to do it using the gui. So I want to add a button. as explained I can do it easilly in IE. I was hoping firefox had a way to do it. One way I can do it is using dom to remove and then recreate the control that should cause the embedded player to start again... perhaps.
Update 2: anybody else who wants to do something similar, in the end I was forced to rewrite the media player code, which makes the media player restart. I did this by creating an enclosing div copying the innerHTML from the enclosing div setting the innerHTML to '' (an empty string) and then copying back the... show more anybody else who wants to do something similar, in the end I was forced to rewrite the media player code, which makes the media player restart.

I did this by creating an enclosing div
copying the innerHTML from the enclosing div
setting the innerHTML to '' (an empty string) and then copying back the original

you need to set innerHTML to '' to ensure that it is rewritten
Update 3: My original question asked how to script an activex control (media player) in Firefox. Not how to embed it. the added detail was to spell out why I wanted to do that, in case someone knew of another way around it. Thanks for the looping suggestion. but no I didnt want it to loop. I wanted it to restart from clip... show more My original question asked how to script an activex control (media player) in Firefox. Not how to embed it. the added detail was to spell out why I wanted to do that, in case someone knew of another way around it.

Thanks for the looping suggestion. but no I didnt want it to loop. I wanted it to restart from clip 1 when the user clicked a button. pressing play restarts the current clip (an advert) and most users can't work out how to skip back to the first clip.
1 answer 1