why don't law enforcement speak english?

I mean in the way they use words:

they call a fine: "bail"

if they are talking about denying you at the border they say you will be "extradited" and if you show up and check in when agreed, they say you were "deported"

does lack of respect for language flow from their lack of respect for the law?

I looked up "bail" on wiktionary and the way the police use it for a speeding ticket, is NOT accepted usage.

to the people that gave me the definitions from the dictionary, thats the problem, the police used these words in ways that do not fit.

Favorite Answer

MYTHBUSTER - bail is the proper term for a promise to appear in court for a monetary penalty (not to be confused with a fine), or to present matters before the court; in this case the guilty plea on a ticket. Everybody says fine, but it is not a fine until the judge accepts the guilty plea (or no contest plea) and assesses the fine and court costs, usually already defined by state statute. If for some reason the judge didn't accept the plea - because you wrote "screw you" on the ticket when you signed it - then he could issue a bench warrant and the bail would be held in abeyance until you appeared before the court.

I agree with you - we call it "legalese" and can be a separate language... Cheers!

Source(s): Former Legal Clerk for County Prosecutor's Office

They have a better vocabulary than you do. There is a world of difference between fine and bail. A fine is a post conviction penalty. That is, you have gone to court, have been found guilty and been penalized. A bail is money you "post" meaning give to the court clerk to insure your appearance in court. At any rate, laws are very specific and by using the wrong word a case can be thrown out of court.

bail - property or money given as surety that a person released from custody will return at an appointed time.

ex·tra·di·tion - the surrender of an alleged fugitive from justice or criminal by one state, nation, or authority to another.

de·por·ta·tion - the lawful expulsion of an undesired alien or other person from a state.

All in the dictionary. It must be your lack of respect for the english language.

Hate to tell you this, but all those fancy words that are giving you so much trouble are not originally from the police. They start from attorneys either writing the law, or looking for loopholes around it.

So......place the blame where it belongs or be more honest with your prejudices against law enforcement. Law Enforcement must incorporate those kind of words into their vocabulary to ethically enforce the law. It's called education.

they have a higher vocabulary than you do. there's a international of replace between fantastic and bail. a good is a placed up conviction penalty. that's, you've were given lengthy lengthy gone to courtroom docket, were wanting to blame and been penalized. A bail is funds you "placed up" meaning furnish to the courtroom docket clerk to insure your seem in courtroom docket. At any cost, legislations are very different and through using the flawed word a case is also thrown out of courtroom docket.

Extradited, bail, and deported mean specific legal actions. They are using the terms correctly.

I'm guessing from your lack of understanding of the English language you have a hard time understanding the coppers who use such "big words" in your presence. Avoid situations where you will come into contact with cops and it won't be an issue for your little brain again.

Ok smarty. Reword your question in English and then I will answer you. The correct way to phrase your question would be "Why doesn't Law Enforcement speak English?"

Source(s): 10 Years Law Enforcement

this non english lauguage you are refering to was one of the first lauguages and the law terms are still used to this day.

I think the problem is that you do not understand what is going on and you need someone to blame it on.

• spag

I'm so sorry that my professional terminology doesn't meet your criteria. How would you like me to make this right for you?