opinionated asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

Dog training problems....?

I have a 1 year old German Shepard in one of my training classes, but he is afraid to walk in the door. Nothing bad has ever happened to him in the store, or any store in fact. He is fine when he walks onto the carpet, but freezes before he will walk on the regular floor. The only way we can get him into the training ring is to carry or drag him, which we don't want. Once he gets into the ring, he is fine. I am sure it is the floor that bothers him. It is just like any other store floor. We have tried treats, coaxing, commands he already knows, distracting him, getting him all excited on the carpet, tossing balls, everything I could think of. We even tried steak! Any realistic ideas to help him? I have been a dog trainer for 3 years and never seen this problem this bad. Help!

• Lilah
    Favorite Answer

Get him moving really good and then just keep walking. The dog needs to move past the shiney floor problem. Keep him going forward, even if you feel you are dragging him. Giving him treats while he is freaking out is only making him think that freaking out is ok. Once on the floor, stop and let him deal with it a while then keep him moving forward. Be calm and don't get him all excited. Good luck.

Source(s): Saw this in Dog Whisperer and it worked wonders. Same problem with a great dane. You might even be able to look up the episode online. I was amazed at how well it worked. Within about 15 minutes the dog was over it.

You are right, it is his footing. He needs to be lead over different surfaces so that he is not afraid of a slippery floor.

With the dog on a leash have the owner sit just inside the door and let the dog stay out side. Have the owner pet and admire other dogs loud enough so that his dog can hear him. Keeping his voice sweet and inviting and soothing. When the dog outside wines or scratches at the door give him an opportunity to enter.

He may choose not to come in, but is OK because he will be given many opportunities to enter. When he does it will be HIS choice. Then just let the owner and the dog sit there. Let other dogs come up to say hi and the other dogs will help him get used to his footing. Don't make him get out on the floor, for the time being he has done a great deed and sitting there is a little scary.

You will have to do this in small steps and let him make the choice but make it very very inviting and worthy and interesting.

Praise him ! ! ! ! It will take a quite a few trips to earn his trust.

Good luck, I hope I was able to help You can contact me for more specific information. You are a trainer, think like a elephant on ice. Put something on the pads of his feet to help with grip, have him walk over a piece of flooring (several steps),

Look at it like little duckling taking their first swim. Mom goes in first and one by one the little ducklings join her but there is always one little guy that is scared to death to jump. Mama can't entice him in, his siblings can't get through to him, they call and call and soon the little guy jumps out to be with the others.

Time, behavior modification and reasurance will bring him around.

Source(s): canine behaviorist, master dog trainer, pet groomer specializing in behavioral problems

He's afraid of slipping. Are his nails too long? If so, that will make him more afraid of slipping.

You can try Cesar's methods, but if you have the patience I'd do something less drastic first with this young dog. Put down some throw rugs and walk him in normally a few times. Then try running him in. Then take out 1 of the rugs so he's taking a couple of steps on the floor without really realizing it until he's done it. Increase the distance gradually - depending on how he does.

Do not coax or give treats to try to get him to walk on the floor - you're reinforcing his belief that he should be afraid. Give him treats and lots of over-the-top praise for taking a step or two on the floor and I think he'll overcome his fear quickly. You have to try to kind of trick him into it in the beginning; with repetition he should forget to be afraid and see nothing's going to happen to him.

My freinds dog is just like this. It mihgt be what your you are cleaning the floor with. If it has bleach or anything with a really strong smell dogs will hate it (wich you should know). You would hate the smell if had a nose like theres!

I have Jack Russel and she doesn't like tile floors. I put his food and water on the tile floor and at first he would get a bit of food and go to the carpet but he soon got over it and ate on the tile floor. He still doesn't like the tile but he will walk on it.

Source(s): Fred the dog ~¶¶ö

First, a lot of idiots are going to suggest Cesar's methods, which are to force him to walk on the floor. AVOID THOSE!

Try getting a carpet runner, something that changes the texture of the floor. See if he'll walk on that. As he gains confidence, you can start moving it so that more and more of the floor is exposed. Enough to challenge the dog, but not enough to cause him to refuse.

I saw that on dog whisperer. I don't understand why it is so horrible to accept advice from Cesar? Some say it is abusive, but those are the same who say that you should not discipline your children.