Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsFish · 1 decade ago

What to do with an aggressive platy?

I have one red platy and some common goldfish in my aquarium. For a long time they all got along fine, but for the last couple of weeks I've noticed my red platy is harassing one of the goldfish -- only one. Same one every time. Now it happens several times a day and my goldfish seems to be afraid, hiding for most of the day behind an ornament in the tank. I want to move the platy, but the last time I isolated an aggressive fish (an upside down catfish) it died. I don't want my platy to die. The harassed goldfish does not have any tattered fins or anything like that, it is just being chased relentlessly. What should I do, and why has my platy singled this goldfish out?

Favorite Answer

These fish are not compatible to live together and a platy is a schooling fish, all schooling fish act funny when not in a school. Move your platy to an aquarium with a heater and get him 5 platy friends, Keep it to 4 females and 2 males.

Take out fake ornaments as they will poison your fish over time, EVEN when they are sold as aquarium ornaments. Use aquarium plastic or silk plants for your goldfish and real ones for your platys.

Remove any coloured gravel as well, also toxic.

I'm guessing your platy is a male and this ONE goldfish is the only one close to resembling a female platy and he wants to mate, since that's what they do.

Source(s): Long time aquarium hobbyist, pet store fish expert and technician.
  • campa

Are Platy Fish Aggressive

It is probably breeding behavior for the platy.

As for keeping platys and goldfish together, this should not be done. Platys are a tropicalfish and should be kept in a heated temperature controlled environment. Goldfish on the other hand are a cold water species. also platys should be kept in groups of their own species. Being live bearers they have a strong urge for reproduction, (babies every 28 days or so) and will try to breed with other fish, which is most likely what you are seeing as him attacking your goldfish.

Platies are normally not aggressive fish. Aggressive behavior is probably due to stress. Probable causes:

-- Poor water quality. Common goldfish aren't suitable for home aquariums; they require ponds. They produce a ton of waste relative to their size. Ammonia buildup in the tank will cause burned gills, disease, and irreversible damage to the internal organs.

-- Water temperature. Goldfish enjoy tank temperatures below 70 F, while platies prefer temperatures closer to 80 F. Whichever fish is feeling too warm or too cold will be feeling stress and be more susceptible to disease and parasites.

-- Disease in the tank. Even peaceful community fish will gang up and pick on fish that are weak.

I agree that might also be that your platy is seeking some female companionship. Platies really are just eating and breeding machines! They are so lively and colorful and fun to watch in groups. I suggest that you rehome your goldfish before the too-small tank stunts their growth, and buy more platies, keeping the female to male ratio at 2 or 3 to one.

Good luck with them!

It could be that it is your platy's breeding season and you need another one, it probably thinks that your goldfish is a girl platy and wants to mate with it. If you get another one the problem will be resolved. Either that or you platy wants a playmate and the goldfish isnt interested.

Source(s): I had the same problem!

I assume your platy is a male and he just wants some...well ya know. I suggest you get the opposite sex platy so they can get it on. Besides, have you ever seen a cross bred Platigold Fish...LOL!!!

I hate to sound rude, but I have had fish for 10 years now. Once a fish is aggressive it is always aggressive even with it's mate. You will always have trouble with it. Best answer is flush it. Sorry.

either flush the platty or the 1 goldfish down the toilet. This will help prevent disease in your tank.

Source(s): Marine World.