Who cooks black-eyed peas and cabbage for good luck on New Year's Day?

Black-eyed peas give good fortune and cabbage give money for the up-coming year if eaten on New Year's Day. Who cooks and eats these things and how do you prepare them?

Best Answer

Black-eyed Peas & Greens(Spinach, Chard, Collards, kale etc)

Sometimes I make my BEPea into Hoppin' Johns(Black-eyed peas, rice & spicy sausage casserole) & serve the whole meal with homemade cornbread.

Fun tradition

You can cook cabbage but being from the south, I was raised on Collard Greens- Black Eye Peas and Cornbread for New Year's Day. Suppose to be luck and money throughout the year~

We're having black eyed peas and cabbage. The cabbage was boiled in butter days ago. I don't know how my wife plans on cooking the peas. They are frozen. Hopefully, she'll put some seasoning in them.

I do not cook or prepare them personally, but several of my friends around here (northern Georgia) cook black-eyed peas ad collard greens. Apparently the peas represent coins and the greens are dollars--they're supposed to say "give me fortune and a wealth of happiness in the new year."

I cook black-eyed peas but not cabbage and certainly not together.

I boil my cabbage for a long time then drain and put in the oven. Bake at 350 with velvetta cheese on top then top with diced ham and seasoned salt.

For the black eyed peas I just buy the frozen ones and add all my own seasoning with the remaining diced ham.

Yummy!~

• Zak

Black-eye peas out of the can and onto the pot on the stove. Throw in a little bacon.

Steamed cabbage.

.

cook camelia black eye peas and cabbage slaw for new years day for good luck and to be prosperous for the coming new year 2007.

boil black eyes till tender then add onions bell pepper and strip of bacon,cook down for 15 min.

cut cabbage thin mix with salt pepper and vinegar.

cabbage should be fried (a little oil) sliced and cooked until tender

peas are dried and must be soaked overnight, rinsed and covered with water, boiled for about 90 minutes. then add chopped ham or smoked turkey and sliced onions and peppers

serve with rice.

a piece of fish and some pork and you have a real AfrAm new year's meal

black eyed peas cabbage good for new year and corn bread and green