If my roommate has a friend over, and I don't want that friend here, does that person have to leave?

We lease by the bedroom directly. He pays the front office his rent, I pay them mine. We aren't on the same bill. It's 50% my apartment and 50% his.

Favorite Answer

i had this problem once....you can't stop them from being there

unless they are a danger to you or someone else or are

vandalizing things or putting your lease at jepordy......

you can ask your roomate to let you know when they are

coming over so you can leave for a while and that would

give you more leverage...

• gone

Unfortunately, your roommate has the same rights as you do. You should plan when these things happen before hand. If you don't like the person, tell your roommate and see what he/she says. Maybe you can arrange something where you can go to the movies when that person visits. If they want to have an all-nighter together, ask your roommate if it's possible that they can go over to the friend's place. If that can't be worked out, he still should have a right to a guest. If it bothers you that much, talk it over with the roommate, otherwise find a new place to live. It's evident you and your roomie can't get along well enough.

As long as the friend isn't a known murderer, rapist, child molester, thief, terrorist or peeping tom then he can have anybody he wants come to visit. I've had my share of roommates and my share of unwanted guests. If this person is puking drunk or tearin' up the place then I feel it's ok to have your roommate get him out. Other than that it's just a fact of sharing an apartment life. If you dislike this person so much go out or go to your room and read a book.

Source(s): Like I said, I've had my share of unwanted guests...now I live ALONE. ;>)
  • meka g

He should respect you enough to ask his friend to leave the house if you two dont like eachother but since he is paying his share of the rent he can have their whoever he wants.

If you both have your names on the lease or bill then you need a compromise to the situation. You will need to discuss it together.

no sorry unless it is in the lease he can have his company and so can you let him know nicely how you feel maybe you can work a compomise where this friend comes over when you are not home and that is my answer to your question

nope because 50% of the apartment is his and he can do whatever he wants with it - i guess.

nope

He doesn't have to leave. Simple.

• ?

no