Is it ILLEGAL to send someone a song file in an email?

With all the fuss being made about free download websites is it illegal to send someone a copyrighted song by email (even if the sender has paid for it)?

And if so...is it as big of deal as downloading songs from free sharing websites?

Favorite Answer

even though you paid for it, the person you are sending it to did not. its still illegal....but this is one reason that file sharing will always exist. they can shut down every p2p service if they want, but they cant shut down email....the only way to stop file sharing is to stop creating stuff. no more music, no more movies, no more anything. then there will be nothing to share. that would really show all of us.

File sharing of copyrighted material is illegal. You stated you had bought the music legally. The person you want to send it to should do the same. You probably won't get caught as the music industry is looking primarily for up-loaders rather than down-loaders on the P2P sites. Again it's only a few out of millions that get prosecuted, but do you really want to break the law anyway?

• Lisa

Whenever I send a song in an e-mail, I just save that song in my music. When I send it, I just upload it as an attachment. When that person gets the mail they just open the attachment to get the song.

If its copywritten it is illegal! Its also illegal to let someoneborrow a copywritten cd and play it but it will be a cold day in H before they could ever inforce it!

not sure. u are not selling it to them but u are still stealing music. if u bought it off itunes u can send it over email and just authorize it onto up to five computers, which is not illegal

well people are "sharing" the song with you right?

probably but what are they going to do? track you down?

no its leagll