Celeritas asked in Consumer ElectronicsCameras · 1 decade ago

Which camera is best for use in extreme cold weather?

I know everyone is probably out drunk and celebrating New Year's lol...

Temps get as low as minus 50 farenheit...but I doubt I'd be outside taking pictures at that temp lol. But there's an event that I want to capture and you never know what temp it will be. I bought the Canon SD900, but I don't know if I should use it in extreme cold weather. So I was thinking of buying another camera for winter time...I don't know about cameras! But I want to learn cause I love pictures...

Thanks. Happy New Year!

Favorite Answer

Keep it warm. I wouldnt use the sd900 after about 10 above 0. I dont really beleave that there is a digital that will work in -50 weather. Due to the fact that LCD will freeze at some point below 32 (not sure what the LCD freeze temp is but is above 0) I think your best bet would be to shoot film. Any old non battrey powered camera will work. The only thing that I know of that is sold new is the Nikon FM3a. The light meter will stop working at very low temps but the camera will still take photos.

If you want to stay will digital I am sure a digital will still take photo long after the lcd freezes over but I thing the cold will kill the battery very fast. I would say keep it close to your body and only take it out to shoot a photo fast.

Good luck

Source(s): 15 years camera retail