what is it about New York City that will gather 1 million people on NYE?

Here in Las Vegas, we get maybe 300,000 on "the strip" for NYE. I suppose NYC getting THAT many people for the ball drop has something to do with the population of that city, which has millions, where Las Vegas only has like between half million and a million people.

what about other cities in the country? Why don't 1 million people gather in L.A.? San Fran? Houston? Dallas? Chicago? etc? Is it because NYC is the biggest city in the nation that they garner that sort of fanfare to ring in the new year? I don't think there's a city in the world which has that many people gathered in one place for NYE festivities.

2 Answers

Relevance
  • Jay G
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

las vegas is pushing 2 million people

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

It's a large metro area-NY, NJ, CT & PA. Plus there are many tourists who go. Some people go just to tell others at work, etc that they went. Others want to "be where the action is." There must be a thousand reasons.

One of the most whacked things to do is just look at the crowd right before the ball drops. People are freaking out...! There was a "river" of garbage in the street near the curb.

Once was enough for me. You have to be careful & put your money in your front pockets

or secure it elsewhere. When you get deep in the crowd (and can't move) people run their hands in your back pockets.

Peace

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.