Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureHolidaysOther - Holidays · 1 decade ago

Does anyone find celebrating the New Year a little silly?

I just got home from a family gathering. We hung out and played games and as usual, when the clock struck twelve, we toasted everyone present and hugged each other. For some reason, it seemed nothing more but mindless tradition, is that all it is? And what else do we do for the sake of just doing?

For me, every day I live I am grateful to live...hell every second and minute I am.

As far as I'm concerned, you can change your life and make/set goal on a daily basis, why the big fuss over one day of the year? I make it a point to spend time and acknowledge my friends and family all year around and appreciate every minute of life they have as well.

Favorite Answer

It is pretty silly. Similar to Christmas and other holidays. But people like to have events in their life...I mean, think of life without it. It's a good way to connect back with friends and family...and ring in a brand new year.

Angel is right it makes so much sense that celebrating a new year is not silly because its a new year and there are many more things for you to do like more goals to set and stuff..

You get to spend time with your family while others who lost their families don't it's not silly.

I guess its about being happy that we are all alive and able to celebrate another year,Too much money is spent on fireworks when there are people living in shocking conditions around the world.

We make fun of it. :-)

I'm at my in-laws' house, and when the ball dropped, my husband and I kissed and said happy new year, then I got back on the computer and he went upstairs and watched a movie.

Basically, we acknowledge and laugh at the stupidity of celebrating the new year when all it means is that the final digit on the date will change.

Hi Goblin, I always had fun on New Years Eve. I guess it's who you are with, that makes the night exciting,and fun. Happy New Year.

Clowmy

• HHH

I do think people go over the top and what's so special about New Year's anyway,everybody is one year closer to their death...LOL.

• why?? after all look how many people died throughou the year and u live to see the big 07

i played bp and just hung out w/ some friends

• JoJoBa

it is hilarious and exciting to just be here to see the new year and be here and alive to celebrate.

It's just a good excuse to party and get drunk.