How can I find out if someone has a life insurance policy on me?

Favorite Answer

Unless they were your parent or guardian and purchased it while you were a child, they can't buy it without your consent.

So, if you think someone bought it when you were a child, ask your parent/guardian.

Otherwise, you'd have to sign the application, submit to blood & urine tests, and release your medical records to the insurance company before they'll issue the policy - even if someone else is the policy owner.

Source(s): agent, 20+ years

i recently took my life/health insurance test (in my state the two are combined) and according to the study books, the only way someone, in today's insurance market, can take out a policy on you and you not know about it is by forging your signature. and depending on the amount, submitting false tests or lying to you about what they are for.

i'm sure you've seen those movies where some husband or wife take out a multi-million dollar policy on their spouse and then have them killed for the insurance, right? well, this is why the insurance laws changed. i can't take insurance out on you and you not know about it, unless you are a minor. then, as the parent or guardian, it is just viewed that i am acting in your/the family's best interests, etc.

so, i guess my "official" answer is, unless they did it and forged everything, you can rest assured that no one has a secret policy on you, unless you are a minor. and if someone does, it was done in secret, so unless you find the policy somewhere, you can't really know for certain.

From state to state it may differ but in my state only people who are directing related to you or have an interest in your life can take out a policy. Grandparents for a grandchild, wife for a husband, parents for a child or blood relative, a business partner on another business partner, a company can also purchase a policy on their employee who would be consider not easily replaced and you leaving maybe devestitating to their business. It would be difficult to find out who may have a policy on you but only people who should be able to would be family unless you are in business with someone. I hope this helps.

ask the person and if they wont tell you, then check with your local bank sometimes the money for the payment is taken directly from the checking account.