Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsTennis · 1 decade ago

Are women allowed to play in the tennis Davis Cup?

I know the Davis Cup is recognised as a mens team event, but I remember my father telling me that the tournament rules have never actually exluded women. He said it was established for the "strongest players" from each country, but female players never really came into calculation. My father believes this is a little known loop hole in the tournament rules. Any truth to this?

Favorite Answer

Women are not allowed to play in David Cup, 50 years ago the ITF established Fed Cup which was team competition for Women. The only team competition where men and women are allowed to play together is the Hopman Cup which takes place in Australia in early January each year.

Here you can find all the rules concerning Davis Cup - http://www.daviscup.com/about/rulesregs.asp

The first point already excludes women from the competition:

1. Title

The Competition, the ITF Team Championship for men, shall be called the Davis Cup.

Women are not allowed to play in David Cup, 50 years ago the ITF established Fed Cup which was team competition for Women.

Fed Cup is similar to Davis Cup but for women

No. The women's version of Davis Cup is called Fed Cup.

Sure. Although now it's over 600 million dollars. If a squirrel is willing to lay down some cash for some tickets, then the squirrel should have an equal shot at the jackpot. Fair is fair.

yes. because a couple years ago davenport played for the US, and at the time she was a very strong womens player.

yes

i think so im not sure though.......