Is this a word?...?

I'm not sure if this is a word but is there a word that sounds like

"a-rye" or "aah-rwhy"

and how do you spell it?

Thanks alot! it was driving me insane!

Favorite Answer

♥ ♥ yes it is... awry is the word ♥ ♥

Awry is a word (not used so much anymore) meaning to go wrong, to go astray--If you let your 6-y.o. son run the candy store, things will surely go awry in your absence.

(He'll invite all his friends over for taste testing from 2 to 4 while you're away; he'll eat his way through the bin of his favorite licorice,....Any manner and number of things could go wrong.)

• kennyj

I think the word you are trying to find here is "awry" which means to have something go wrong or not work out as planned.

awry

One entry found for awry.

Main Entry: awry

Pronunciation: &-'rI

Function: adverb or adjective

1 : in a turned or twisted position or direction : ASKEW

2 : off the correct or expected course : AMISS

Are you playing SCRABBLE? And the word awry means that things have gone wrong. As in, 'My plans for the evening have gone awry.' Too bad for me ay?

• SD

Definitions of awry on the Web:

away from the correct or expected course; "something has gone awry in our plans"; "something went badly amiss in the preparations"

askew: turned or twisted toward one side; "a...youth with a gorgeous red necktie all awry"- G.K.Chesterton; "his wig was, as the British say, skew-whiff"

amiss(p): not functioning properly; "something is amiss"; "has gone completely haywire"; "something is wrong with the engine"

askew: turned or twisted to one side; "rugs lying askew"; "with his necktie twisted awry"

The nearest word to that, is "awry" . It means being "askew" or "lopsided". In common lingo, it means something went wrong.

awry, if something has gone awry, it means the thing didn't perform as expected

awry

awry

here is a dictionary site for you, bookmark it in case you have other words to look up...

http://www.onelook.com/