Kylie G asked in HealthOther - Health · 1 decade ago

Why do I get frequent foot & leg cramps?

They started when I was nine...they've become more frequent and they last longer now. Is it a mineral deficiency, or lack of water? My middle toes bend straight down and my whole foot tries to bend in half...I have to stop everything, sit down and hold my toes. This can be embarrassing if I happen to be shopping at the time. It can happen when I'm fast asleep, and it's quite common when I'm swimming, although I'm careful never to point my toes. Sometimes it will last 20 mins!

Favorite Answer

I think you may have what is called Plantar Fasciitis.

Plantar Fasciitis is a serious, painful, and progressing (since it's progressive, it makes sense that it has gotten worse since you were 9) illness that occurs when the long, flat ligament along the bottom of the foot develops tears and inflammation.

The pain from plantar fasciitis is described as being dull aching or sharp and can usually be reproduced by flexing the toes upwards (dorsiflexion) and tensing the fascia. Plantar fasciitis tends to worsen after standing or exercising for prolonged periods or after getting out of bed in the morning.

When you walk or run, you land on your heel and raise yourself on your toes as you shift your weight to your other foot, causing all your weight to be held up by your plantar fascia. Such repetitive force can pull the fascia from its attachment on your heel and cause damage and plantar fasciitis.

I would go to a foot doctor (podiatrist) soon. They may have to give you cortisone shots to reduce inflammation.

Until then I would take an NSAID (an anti-inflammatory medicine such as Ibuprofen).

This website goes into detail of what I have already covered. My father suffered from plantar fasciitis and he often held his foot in severe discomfort.

I hope this helps you.

even without nueropathy, it's possible diabetes may be a cause or just a contributing factor. Many uncontrolled diabetics have frequent muscle cramps due to dehydration (since they are loosing more water due to frequent urination, they also loose electrolytes, and that imballance can cause cramps). You should talk to your doctor, as he may be able to prescribe something to help.

For the best answers, search on this site https://smarturl.im/aDAZ8

You need more potassium, eat some bananas. Seriously, if you take your vitamins, or eat healthy, and add more bananas to your diet, I can about 100% guarantee your leg cramps will go away. Not a promise, but almost that much of a guarantee. The potassium, will help the nutrients to get absorbed into the bones and muscles that need it, and your cramps will lessen or go away. I hope they get better for you.

Have you told your doctor about this problem? I wouldn't listen to advice from anybody until discussing it with my doctor first. More serious things, other than just a vitamin or mineral deficiency, can cause problems like this.

Don't jeopardize your health. Seek medical advice first.

Probably dehydrated and your body is needing potassium. Drink more water. Drink sports drinks to boost your electrolytes and eat more bananas and potatoes to get more potassium.

There are also pills that you can take called Leg Cramps that help with that. My Dad swears by them during the summer months when he has the most trouble with them. Along with drinking Tonic Water that has Quinnine in it. ( the leg cramp pills contain this as well)

ahhh..i think you just have to like eat fruits and drink alot of water...that happens to me..i could be laying down and the bottom of my lower thigh will like get stuck and i will start spasing all around my bed until it goes away..i also get muscle spasms when i like tip toe..that back of my foot get stucks..and the pain is almost ubearable...one time i was in school not to long ago and we were kneeling down near eachother and i got one of the lower thigh spasms it was all silent and i almost screamed in pain..lol..good luck..with your problem..happy new years and god bless!

Make sure you are getting enough calcium. If you are not real big on dairy products then try taking a calcium supplement.

eat more banannas as you may have a potassium deficiency, which causes muscle cramping.

think its ure positioning

excersise itttt