I cannot figure out why my computer stoped playing anything on wmp and only mp3's on vlc?

I cannot figure out why my computer stoped playing anything on windows media player and only mp3's on vlc? i updated wmp and that didn't help.

and when you try to play any video on vlc it gives a not a vaild windows image and plays the video all in code just numbers and letters.

also on the net ad's on webpages flicker and flash now? help! :)

Favorite Answer

I have been through something like this:

check your audio-video driver setting. Control Panel>System>Hardware>DeviceManager>

Click on audio/ video node-tree, RightClick>Properties>Resource

if you think you are missing something, you should get the new drivers..

get the new drivers for the type of playback you need, and install it.

Or, reinstall windows media player.

Or, reinstall windows

Or, install some other softwares for music and video, usually WMP will get the new driver info for the new softwares...

hope it helps.

I think may be a virus attacked to your computer. So i reccommend a scan on your computer with AVG 7.5 updated version. It's the best in today's market. Also i think it will be help, if you download wmp11. It's availble at microsoft.com. Thank you and i wish you a happy new year.

Did you happen to install WinAMP recently? I did that a while back and had to reformat to get WMP working again...