To you, is the word "passion" synonymous to "sex"?

I'm writing essays for college, and I want to write about how I'm passionate about academics. Is that word inappropriate? If no, is there a better word to use? Thanks!!!

Favorite Answer

The word "passion" on its own is not synonymous with sex. It just means that whatever it is you are talking about really sets sparks off in you. However, if you use it in relation to a person, then it can have sexual connotations... For example, if you're passionate about academics, that means you really really really like academic people - they really get you going etc etc.

Do you really mean that you are passionate about academia (ie. the world of education, learning and studying)? or academic life? or just that you are passionate about learning? The word passionate is fine, but just check that your use of "academics" gives the correct meaning for what you want to say ;o)

no, passion is not synonymous to sex. that is probably the best word.... the best way to check is to go to Microsoft Word. Type the word "passion", highlight it. Go to "tools", select "language", then "thesaurus". You will see a list of words with similar or opposite meaning. I use this feature all the time when writing papers or letters.

Best of luck!

No, "passion" means you really like or want to do something. Being passionate about academics is a perfectly appropriate expression.