Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationCar MakesNissan · 1 decade ago

Why is the nissan skyline eligal in the U.S?? (please explain if u want)?

Favorite Answer

not elligal you just need to bring it up to us standards on emissions, and signals and paperwork tag ect

The Nissan Skyline GT-R is an iconic Japanese sports coupe in the Nissan Skyline range. Dubbed "Godzilla" by Wheels magazine in Australia when released there in 1989, it was rated by many motoring magazines, including the well-respected Wheels, as providing performance and handling equal or superior to that of European icons like the Porsche 911 and the Ferrari Testarossa, at a considerably lower price. The Skyline's home-market competitors have included the Honda NSX, Toyota Supra, Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution, Subaru Impreza WRX STi, and Mazda RX-7.

Accutally I own a skyline. The reason why there illegal depends on alot, the emmisions for one it would never pass smog with a stock RB engine you would have to modify it with 300zx parts and its really tough to get a turbocharged import engine to pass the supras and RX7s were very lucky. Also Crash and safety ratings they dont even have the bumper support thing.... I cant explain it but if u take your bumper off theres another type of bumper underneath. Theres not really much tho its just that our regulations are so tuff on little things.

You could go acctually go to canada and buy a early year skyline for about 13 or 14 thousand.Thats where the original owner of my skyline purchased it from to begin making it legal.

• Doug K

They are not illegal to own, but Nissan cannot sell them here because we do not have the same safety and emission standards. The car will need to be detuned to pass emissions, and I believe the windshield is not up to US standards. I also am not 100% on whether or not they came from the factory with a SRS. The right-hand drive is not so much an issue, because many people own imported collector cars that are right-hand drive here in the states. I have a buddy that drives a right-hand drive Jaguar XKE.

Source(s): Life experience, and over 20 years wrenching on old cars and trucks.

It won't pass the smog requirements. Their is a new nissan gtr coming out in america for 2009

I am not for 100% sure, but I have heard my guy friends talking about how they want to import one. For one thing they are designed with the drivers seat on the right side of the car. They are also designed for top speeds which are illegal in US. They are too powerful for our highways and are the #1 car wanted for street racing.

• doug b

i read somewere that they will be brought to north america in 2007,they did not meet safety and emmision standards before for here

There wasn't any testing by the safety people here because there weren't any officialy imported.

Cuz some retard thought it was too good...