what is the best thing to us to clean wide louvered plastic blinds with smoke buildup?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

First use a blind duster to get any loose dirt off. Fill the bathtub with about 2 inches of hot water and a 1/4 cup of dish soap and a 16 oz. bottle of vinegar . Lower the blinds enough to immerse the slats but not the top part. Swish back and forth gently until clean. Rinse with clean water from the shower. If you have smoke build up on the blinds your house probably smells of stale smoke as well. Place a shallow cake pan like a jelly roll pan in the middle of each room and fill with apple cider vinegar. Close up the house for 8-10 hours and when you come back pour out the vinegar and the smoke smell will be gone.

Source(s): Learned the lesson after a fire.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I take my blinds down (the whole unit in one piece). I have a couple of nails in the fence to hang them from. You can then easily spray them with a hose and use a brush with soap and water, if they are white you can add bleach it may retire some scrubbing but with them hanging up outside you can do it fairly easily and throughly without ruining the carpet. Turn blinds over and repeat. Once they are dry you can put them back.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

There is a product called Clorox Cleanup, it is fantastic, put your blinds in the tub, spray and use a sponge or clean rag to wipe, the rinse...and presto...beautiful.

• kolorz
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

Put them in the tub and clean with TSP. TSP cleans all.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.