Kylie asked in HealthDiet & Fitness · 1 decade ago

Is it ok to workout 3 days in a row? For example Tues, Wed, Thurs and then have the rest of the week off?

Cardio all 3 days and weight training tues/thurs only.

Update:

what about this scenario- Tues, Thurs. Sat?

The reason I am asking is because I'm on campus Tues and Thurs only. Campus is 30 minutes away. I am willing to make the trip 1 other day a week, either Wed or Sat. So Saturday would be a better day to go? since I'd have a day in between?

I can workout for free at the University rec center.

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Really, the answer can be yes and no. it depends on your level of fitness. i work out HARD mon.-sat. Around 1:30 i usually lift (5 sets of 15 on 4-5 different excercises) and then later in the day (around 7:00) i do cardio on a treadmill (intervall training or just a few miles). the thing is, i have been religiously working out for about a year and a half now because i play football. for an average person this would be a huge stress on the body. when i first started i got sore on the first day and wanted to quit; now my one day off (sunday) seems like way to much downtime and it is hard not to workout.

so, to answer your ?, it depends on your level of fitness and your goals. if you are just starting out, as i am guessing is true, then you could probably do 4 days a week on weights and three on cardio (the days should overlap) if your goal is to get bigger (athletes, skinny dudes, ect.). But, if you want to lose weight, try three on weights and four cardio days. This is asuming you are already in good shape, if not, reduce the days by one, or more, as necessary.also, you should alternate body parts on differerent days monday and wednesday do upper body; tuesday and thursday do lower body. this will help "curb" soreness. The days you do both weights and cardio make sure you ALWAYS do cardio AFTER you lift weights. your body sees muscle as a liability and will get rid of muscle tissue before fat deposits are drained. Muscle takes a lot of energy to keep up and fat is basically energy. lastly, if you are a girl (i guess yes from your avatar and name) you might want to reduce the workout days by one; men have, on average, 20% greater muscle mass and lung capacity than women.

if you have any more questions, or want me to go into more detail (yes, unbelivably so, i can) e-mail at mayo123454321@yahoo.com

Source(s): i am a high school senior who has already decided his college major, and have already bought books to help me get a jump start. Kinesiology (the study of body groups and how they help the us move) is what i want to study, and, more specifically, sports medicine
  • 1 decade ago

It all depends on what you are working out on your actual workout days. If your training the same muscle group you may need more time in between depending on if they are a smaller muscle group or a larger group. Any additional information would greatly help.

Also how long your workout is can effect you through muscle fatigue which can be caused with in one day of workingout improperly. Whicn is doing you more harm to you then good since you are over exerting the muscles via too many set/reps or too much weight.

Remember that with exercise you need GOOD nutrition to gain muscle, lose weight, or just simply stay at your bodies current state

• 1 decade ago

I think it is OK. But if you workout alternative days, the benefits will be more.

3 days in a week is not bad at all.

• 1 decade ago

Make three days your heavier cardio and three light cardio and workout. Have one day for a day of rest.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • m c
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

No, the other four days, need to do some simple exercise. If your going to exercise , do it everyday, even if it is just for ten minutes. This can be done at home.

• 1 decade ago

Absolutely.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

you should doevery other day for muscle work outs for cardio 4days off is 2 much

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

it could cause some strain.you should do it every other day.that way your muscles can stretch..when they stretch they tear slightly,that's how they develop,,they need a day to heal.....so ,every other day is what is recommended

• 1 decade ago

no you should give your body time to relax so go monday wednest friday and sunday then your body doesnt get tired

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.