I am a felon, who would like to pursue a degree in law, is it possible to pass the bar with a felony??????

Favorite Answer

It's possible but you are taking a huge risk. Attending law school is a 3 year commitment and may cost as much as $100,000.00. That's not a wise investment unless you know you can practice law at the end of it. You will need to find out the best you can if your type of felony will prevent your admittance.

Every state has some sort of character and fitness background check that must be completed before you can be admitted to the Bar regardless of whether you pass the bar exam or not.

It will all depend on what kind of felony it is, how long ago it was, what you have done to reform yourself, etc. I would call your state bar, speak with the law school and get some info on the likelihood of you passing.

Oh and you will likely have to disclose your conviction to the law school as well but law school tend to be more lenient then the bar.

I know of someone who was convicted of murder and was never admitted and I also heard of someone with DUI's, pot possession getting admitted.

• John S

In most states you can probably take the bar, the question is whether if, should you pass, you can be admitted to practice. Sometimes the answer is yes. One of the best public defenders I ever knew had been a drug addict (the result of his Viet Nam service) and went to prison for possession. He demonstrated complete rehabilitation after that, went to law school, and was admitted to the bar in California. His clients knew he had been there, and he fought like hell for them.

Source(s): 30 years as a criminal defense attorney.

This varies from state to state contact the state bar association in your state.

the law says yes,but the law also looks at "felony as a deadly disease they won't giv you a second chance because their to scard you might run with it.true story.

• maamu

Probably not.

You have the timeline all wrong.

You have to become an attorney first, then a crook.

M

i am sorry you cannot.......... you may pass the bar but you will not be admitted