If you leave cheese out and it grows a little bit of mold, do you think it would be okay to eat, or not?

-It was left out for 3 days

-My sister dropped it on the floor

-It is Gouda Cheese

17 Answers

Relevance
  • Dan S
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

    Cheese is actually formed by letting milk mold.

    So a little mold on cheese isn't a bad thing.

    Personally, I cut the mold off and eat the cheese, but I watch that cheese because unless I am going to use it soon I will need to throw it out. After all mold contains things like penicillin (made from bread mold). I am not allergic to penicillium, but I could be allergic to some other things.

    If you leave the cheese out for three days then it could still be good to eat. Of course it could also be covered with salmonella so I wouldn't advise it. In the days before relegation people did exactly that, but then they also died from the measles.

    I don't follow the 5-second rule. If you drop food on the floor then it lands on the dirt and any germs living there. If you leave it there for 5 seconds or 5 hours it will have landed on the same amount of dirt and germs. What matters is how long you leave it exposed to the airborne germs and what germs and dirt the food item encounters the microsecond after it lands. Normally, I would just clean it off and feed it to my sister.

    This pretty much holds true for all cheese however:

    According to Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garrotxa_cheese

    "Garrotxa is a pressed cheese made from unpasteurized goat's milk. It was originally produced only in the Garrotxa area of Catalonia. It has a firm but creamy white interior, with a natural mold rind."

    According to Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bleu_B%C3%A9n%C3%A9di...

    "Bleu Bénédictin is a Canadian blue cheese made by the monks at the Benedictine Abbey of Saint-Benoît-du-Lac, Quebec.

    The cheese is a semi-soft, whole milk blue cheese deeply veined with the Roquefort penicillium mold. A wheel of Bénédictin weighs 2 kilograms and has a whitish-gray coating."

    According to Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_mold

    "Also, the mold Penicillium roqueforti used in producing the taste, and characteristic blue-green inclusions in Roquefort cheese."

    According to Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danish_Blue_cheese

    "Danish Blue cheese, also known as Danablu if it is made in Denmark, is a light, blue-veined cheese. This semi-soft creamery cheese is typically drum or block shaped and has a white to yellowish, slightly moist, edible rind. Made from cow's milk, it has a fat content of 25-30% (50-60% in dry matter) and is aged for eight to twelve weeks.

    Before aging, rods are used to pierce the formed curds to distribute the mold (Penicillium roqueforti) evenly through the cheese. The holes can still be seen when the finished wheel is cut open.

    Danish Blue was invented early in the 20th century by a Danish cheesemaker named Marius Boel with the intention of emulating a Roquefort style cheese. Danish Blue has a milder, less complex flavor characterized by a sharp, salty, almost metallic taste."

    Another words moldy cheese is common, and for some brands of cheese it is actually a required ingredient. So it may not be too bad if you have mold on your cheese.

    Gouda cheese is soaked in salt-water brine to stop it from gathering mold so I would avoid moldy gouda. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gouda_cheese)

  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

    A little mold on cheese isn't going to harm you!

    If the mold is blue.. then it's okay to eat it. If it's green it's not wise and besides green mold is horrible tasting! I once accidentally got some Danish cheese green mold in my mouth. Stuff dropped on the floor will pick up germs and do alot more harm than a little cheese mold! Cheese is actually mold in the first place isn't it?

  • 1 decade ago

    You can cut the mold off cheese and still eat it, but dropping it on the floor might be not so good, so throw it away. They sell more at the store.

  • 1 decade ago

    Cheese is one of the only foods that are still edible even after it gets moldy, all the blue veins in bleu cheese is mold. I would just cut off the mold and eat the rest.

  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

    ok just cut the mold off. but if it was left out for 3 days on the floor gross throw it a way

  • Nocine
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

    Yuck, no! lol! I still think the flavor of the whole thing changes even if it is safe to cut the mold away. ~ I don't like the 5/10 second rule if it falls on the floor. ha ha

  • Judith
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

    Cut off the mold, wash the cheese with soap/water & rinse well if the rind isn't still on it. It probably won't taste very good tho since it hasn't been refrigerated. If refrigerated, taste it & throw it away if you don't like it.

  • 1 decade ago

    cut the mold off wipe off anything from the floor and eat it. not like its gonna kill you

  • 1 decade ago

    I would not eat it if it has been out for three days. If you really want to eat it, cut off the mouldy pieces.

  • 1 decade ago

    MOLD WILL MAKE YOU REALLY SICK. WHAT YOU DO WITH THE CHEECE IS SCRAPE OR CUT OUT THE MOLD. TO BE ON A SAFER SIDE, I WOULD THROW IT AWAY

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.