Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsFish · 1 decade ago

What is the white fuzz growing on my frog, I think it's dying?

I got my son two frogs for Christmas. One hasn't been doing well all along. The other one who seemed happy until today is now getting white fuzz all over it. It's not swimming around either. What could it be?

Let me help. I have (and have had) all kinds of critters, including but not limited to frogs. Frogs are really sensitive. White fuzz...that's FUNGAL GROWTH, and that's what killed the first frog and will (probably) kill this one. Would the frogs have been contaminated at the petshop? I think most probably. What kind of enviroment did you create for them? The ONLY thing you can do is to spray the frog with "Betadine". It's safe for use on amphibians - the US fish and wildlife use it on their specimens in the field. You need to treat this frog ASAP. YOU NEED TO KILL THE FUNGAL GROWTH on him. ONLY use Betadine spray as NOTHING else is safe. Email me if you like and best of luck.

Canadian Council on Animal Care:

II. AMPHIBIANS *

Superficial Fungus Infections

Superficial fungus infections, such as Saprolegnia can also start in minor abrasions. These can be a hazard amongst larval salamanders if several larvae in a single tank begin to nip at one another. Fungi appear as an opaque, usually fuzzy, white area of skin, often on an extremity, the median fin or on external gills. It has been demonstrated that fungus infections will respond to calcium propionate solution, used as a dip. Affected animals are dipped in an aqueous solution of 2-3% calcium propionate for one minute and immediately returned to fresh water. Treatment should be repeated once or twice daily until grossly visible signs of infection disappear. Topical painting of wounds and localized fungal infections with a 2% mercurochrome solution, followed in a few minutes by washing in flowing water has been recommended (Boterenbrood and Verhoff-De Fremery, 1976). Potassium permanganate dips at 1:5000 for five minutes have also proven useful against Saprolegnia infection (Temple and Fowler, 1978). The appearance of fungus infections, especially among larval salamanders, should serve as warning that attempted cannibalism is occurring and the larvae should be housed singly, if possible.

0.

http://www.ccac.ca/en/CCAC_Programs/Guidelines_Pol...

Sadly your frog is probely dying. What happens is the frogs body begins to decompose before the frog actually dies and mold will begin to grow on it. You might want to bring it to the vet incase it has a skin problem or they might be able to save it. Be careful handling it and try not to touch it with your bare hands. I recommend getting out and away from the other incase it is carrying a disease.

Fungal infection! Treat it with 20 gms salt diluted in 1 litre of water for 1 minutes.

Source(s): Academy

ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!

i think they are doing it and the female is making a fuzz of bubbles for the eggs or something. if not talk to a local frog vet.

what were you thinking that made you buy frogs for your sons? if i were your child i'd probably freak out when i see those. honestly..=s